Xantia - no front fog lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Xantia - no front fog lights

Post by Mandrake »

Hi Ben,

Not wanting to undo your good work, but I've finally cracked this one and found an elegant way to do it. =D> :)

Download and install CutePDF from here: http://www.cutepdf.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a virtual printer driver that writes out to a PDF file, you might even have it already as a lot of people use it.

Open Sedre and find the wiring diagram you want, right click on it and choose "Save SVG as", (or if your SVG viewer is in French "Copier le SVG" :lol: ) change the "save as type" from *.svgz to *.svg and save it in a temporary location.

Now comes the clever bit, open the SVG file thus saved into Google Chrome, NOT Internet Explorer! Right click it and choose open in Google Chrome. For some reason that I haven't had time to investigate, if you have IE still open it sometimes grabs the SVG type and opens it in IE even though you specifically said open in Google Chrome, even if you associate .svg types with Chrome! #-o So if necessary close IE first.

Once you have it open in Google Chrome, right click the image and choose print, choose Cute PDF Writer as the printer, and you probably want to turn off "headers and footers" in options before printing. A save as dialogue will come up from CutePDF, now enter a filename to save it as a PDF. Job done! Sometimes I find it adds a blank page after the page(s) of interest, so if that happens just manually set a page print range to eliminate the blank page.

If you print the SVG from Internet Explorer it renders it as a low resolution bitmap so the resulting PDF is both huge in file size (about 800KB for one page) and has no detail to zoom into, you can't even read the writing its so bad...

However if you print an SVG from Google Chrome it renders it as a super crisp scaleable vector diagram to the printer, and CutePDF is able to capture the vector data and create an entirely vector based PDF with no conversion loss! :-D =D>

So you get unlimited detail that you can zoom right into, and a file size of only about 60KB for a page, in a file format that almost anything can display. Here's an example of one I converted, try zooming into it in a PDF viewer:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/782 ... nciple.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What's more these PDF's work absolutely perfectly on an iPad in any app that can view PDF's (I use one called "Files", or sometimes just Adobe Reader) and render at native screen resolution.

Absolutely chuffed that I now have a way to import high quality small file size versions of the wiring diagrams onto my iPad, its a little bit of work but is 100x easier than trying to view them in the god awful SVG viewer built into Sedre... :roll:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

Nice one Simon. I had assumed the poor quality using cutepdf from Sedre would give the same results when printing the svg to it from chrome. #-o

I wonder if it can be sortcut'd using chrome only. Will have to investigate :)
Last edited by Ben82 on 13 Jul 2013, 22:18, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I don't think you can navigate Sedre in Chrome, at least it didn't seem to work for me. Docbackup you can with a few graphical glitches, I use Chrome to print articles from Docbackup (to PDF) as it does a better job of the printing even though Docbackup only uses bitmap images and text...
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Got it working with Chrome :D

1) Browse to http://127.0.0.1:6093/Sdr/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in Chrome...
2) wait for the popup blocked banner in the address bar click it and always allow popups from 127.0.0.1
3) Navigate to your desired diagram
4) Right click on the diagram and click "Inspect Element"
5) there is an embed tag with a src element linked for the compressed svg just above where it navigates to in the source. Right click the link and select "Open link in new tab"
6) CTRL+P (or right click - print), and choose the destination as Save as PDF... and choose where to save.

No need for CutePDF or IE.

Couple of notes.. in chrome - browsing the diagram doesn't work very well... and in the print preview it looks like it may not work very well, but the resulting PDF is like the one you gave an example of :)
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Fails at step 3 for me Ben, after selecting the vehicle configuration, choosing power unit, engine, electronic injection, Mounting Bosch, then the depolution type I get this:

The same steps work in IE9.

Good call on using the built in print to PDF feature in Chrome - I didn't know it had one! :)

Chrome does seem to produce a larger PDF than CutePDF though - 78.6KB compared to 57.2KB for my example diagram, but who's counting. :lol: Both look identical on the retina screen on the iPad.
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Simon,

I can get that issue with your details (check the same with a C5 and it should work)... looking into it further, it seems to be something up with the compression, as you can save the erroneous file as a svg.gz file, then use 7zip to extract the real svg file and open that in chrome fine. :?
Wonder if theres a way around it with Chrome.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I'm not too worried about it Ben, what I'm going to do is create a folder hierarchy that mirrors the wiring diagram hierarchy in Sedre, and right click, save as the diagrams I'm interested in for my car using IE and save them in bulk, then go through with Chrome and do a bulk conversion then copy those to the iPad. If I need more diagrams later I'll know which ones are missing by looking at the folder hierarchy. I could probably get the whole lot done in an hour and then never have to touch Sedre again for my car! =D>

Especially useful considering I only have Sedre installed on a netbook borrowed from work for the weekend...

(By the way if you click on SVG viewer in the bottom left corner of Sedre and install it, despite it saying there is a newer version already installed, you'll get an English version of SVG viewer instead of French...a bit easier to use :lol: )
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Hmm, ran into a snag already, can you try this Ben ?

Xantia II, RPO 7905, 5 door saloon, RHD, Injection ES9J4, Transmission BVA4, With ABS brakes.

Power unit -> Engine -> Electronic Injection, Mounting Bosch, EEC 95 Depoll (engine), Lead free petrol, HP20 (AG)

I get:

"Data anomaly, the following contexts are similar:
Context : 63810 (63271)
Context : 63828 (63289)
Please contact technical assistance"

:( I wasn't sure which depoll option to choose before, I had just been using the top one which worked, along with several of the others, but I looked the car up on service.citroen.com and it says EEC 95 DEPOLL (ENGINE) is the correct spec. :?

Whats the difference between the different dpoll options anyway ? The diagrams look the same to a quick glance but I haven't studied them closely for differences.
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

I'm not sure what the difference is, probably different depollution standards that the cars can apply to...

Also oddly, change only RHD to LHD and you'll get diagrams.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Hmm, choosing LHD doesn't even ask you for the depoll option.... But then shows duplicates of Principle, Wiring, and Installation diagrams, one titled 12.9 and the other 12.8 - whatever that means! :? No idea which one is the closest match to my car.
Simon

1978 CX 2400
lurchy666
My Cars: citroen c5 hdi 2.2 auto estate

Post by lurchy666 »

take ur indicator out and put ur hand down hole and do it by touch,thats the only way ive found to do it without the whole bumper coming off, on a sieres 2 they are h1 bulbs
c5 2.2 auto hdi estate 52 reg
harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

Gentlemen,
Having put my HDI Xant back together, I find I have no front foglights. Ok, Ok, they were found after a short search on the lower bumper... but they wont light up. I see from the posts regarding this that the relay controlling them is in the engine fuse box. Having replaced the battery positive harness I must have disturbed something. Do the wires from the relay to the lights go directly or via a plug? Anyone know? As you may remember, this all started due to a crankshaft pulley replacement, which necessitated repairing the alternator and now the fogs...... Incidently I have purchased an Exclusive, but that is for later; broken suspension pipe,side windows and probably more, but we shall see. However new wood boiler and heating system come first. All suggestions relating the the fog lights will be most gratefully received.
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Two fuses are involved with the front fog lights - check your owners handbook as it varies from model to model. Check those fuses first, either removed with an ohmmeter or check for voltage on both sides of the fuse while they're in place with fog lights turned on.

That's where I'd start. In my case it was the headlight washer motor randomly blowing one of the fuses which is shared with the fog lights. As I don't care about the headlight washer I removed the relay which powers it - no problem with the fog light fuse blowing since then.

If you get really stuck PM me your VIN number and I can look up and post the exact wiring diagrams for your car for the fog lights.
Simon

1978 CX 2400
harryp
(Donor 2022)
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

Thanks Mandrake. Have checked fuse - must get out and check supply!... and to relay too.
Regards
Regards, Harry

2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
harryp
(Donor 2022)
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

well, haven't checked them as I don't use them, but yesterday when checking the lights, they came on! I must investigate why some time, but am trying to build a badger proof fence as my lawn is beginning to resemble a ploughed field.
Regards, Harry

2013 C4 Picasso Excl E