Changing to steering wheel with control buttons

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroDane
My Cars:

Changing to steering wheel with control buttons

Post by citroDane »

My Xantia didn't come with radio controls buttons on the steering wheel. So far this has not bothered me enough to launch a conversion project. But now I've noticed you can buy used Xantia steering wheels with control buttons quite cheap on ebay, so I'm a bit tempted to try. I know I'll probably need an interface / signal converter of some sort to sit between the control buttons on the wheel and the car stereo (a Sony). I've seen plenty of those on the web. Here's an example:
http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/autolead ... -8752.html

The thing is I am not sure what else I need to get this to work. I see no wires of plug coming out of back of the steering wheels people are selling to connect it the interface adaptor -or anything else for that matter.

Has anyone tried this or knows what's needed to do this conversion?

Thanks a lot,
Gabriel
99 Xantia, 2.0 HDI
TKM 215
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: Changing to steering wheel with control buttons

Post by citroenxm »

UK Cars had these fitted as standard right from 1992 when the Xantia first came out, and they ALL had them over here.

Basically, you need the steering wheel, then you need behind that the Roatry switch which carries the signals for the Air bag, Horn and radio controls, as you have an S2 car.. (The horn moved to the steering wheel on Series Two 1998 onwards cars)

Then theres a THIRD cable from the plug just under the steering wheel on the colum that then goes to the back of the radio and connects to the TOP connector of the radio...

HOWEVER, theres two sorts of connections depending which radio you have. I know you said you have an after market Sony radio, Ive got a Sony adapter kit which connects to a CLARION Radio unit connector. This type of unit is the sort that fits FLUSH with the dash making it look all as one. The single slot radios with a flap on the front have a different connector and are Phillips Tape players.

My guess is you need one with the Carion, which is a MASSIVE shame, I scrapped a car a month or two ago which would of had all this for you I could of sold to you.... but its gone now..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citroDane
My Cars:

Post by citroDane »

citroenxm wrote:UK Cars had these fitted as standard right from 1992 when the Xantia first came out, and they ALL had them over here.

Basically, you need the steering wheel, then you need behind that the Roatry switch which carries the signals for the Air bag, Horn and radio controls, as you have an S2 car.. (The horn moved to the steering wheel on Series Two 1998 onwards cars)

Then theres a THIRD cable from the plug just under the steering wheel on the colum that then goes to the back of the radio and connects to the TOP connector of the radio...

HOWEVER, theres two sorts of connections depending which radio you have. I know you said you have an after market Sony radio, Ive got a Sony adapter kit which connects to a CLARION Radio unit connector. This type of unit is the sort that fits FLUSH with the dash making it look all as one. The single slot radios with a flap on the front have a different connector and are Phillips Tape players.

My guess is you need one with the Carion, which is a MASSIVE shame, I scrapped a car a month or two ago which would of had all this for you I could of sold to you.... but its gone now..
Thanks a million nxm. Now I pretty much have an idea what I need. But it is a SHAME you sold "our" :-D donor car now! :(
Let me know if you come across another or hear of anyone who has the parts used.

Btw, now that read the facts about the uk models and these buttons, it is just flat out weird to think of my car. It was an import from Belgium actaully (I bought it when it was 4 years old). It has a lot of gadgets from the factory. JUst not the control buttons!
Cheers,
Gabriel
Last edited by citroDane on 02 Feb 2013, 08:35, edited 2 times in total.
99 Xantia, 2.0 HDI
TKM 215
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

What i didn't say is i do have another 1999 model to break eventually but to get the wiring out from the Colum to the radio is a dash out job due to the way the install it all.. and Im not dooing that for some time yet.. sorry..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citroDane
My Cars:

Post by citroDane »

citroenxm wrote:What i didn't say is i do have another 1999 model to break eventually but to get the wiring out from the Colum to the radio is a dash out job due to the way the install it all.. and Im not dooing that for some time yet.. sorry..
THat's great. No worries. I've had the car for the past 9 years without the buttons and I don't mind to wait a bit longer. Besides I'm a Dane living in Croatia and as you might have heard they are entering the EU in a few months. So a) it's very hard to find donor Xantias here and b) maybe I'll end up saving some money as the customs etc on imports from other EU countries will be slahsed. So whenever you get around to it, let me know.

Cheers,
Gabriel
99 Xantia, 2.0 HDI
TKM 215