HELP C5 Alarm

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

HELP C5 Alarm

Post by Ben82 »

OK went to do the parasitic draw test on my C5, i couldn't have gotten a good connection on the negative terminal, and the alarm started going off...
getting no response from ignition atm, what should I do?

the alarm goes off in short bursts, stops and then starts again?
Last edited by Ben82 on 29 Jan 2013, 15:56, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
oneday
My Cars:

Re: HELP C5 Alarm

Post by oneday »

have you tried locking the doors and unlocking again
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

oneday wrote:have you tried locking the doors and unlocking again
The key fob doesn't seem to want to respond
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

try the key in the door lock
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

oneday wrote:try the key in the door lock
Just tried, no difference, it won't lock the door, nor reopen it... doors are permanantly unlocked
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

thats a new one are all doors boot bonnet closed properly. only other thing i can think of at this time is battery disconnect and reconnect see hints and tips section or the battery may be low on charge.
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

oneday wrote:thats a new one are all doors boot bonnet closed properly. only other thing i can think of at this time is battery disconnect and reconnect see hints and tips section or the battery may be low on charge.
Yup they are. :(
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

well the alarm has stopped sounding, so that's partially a good thing, haven't gone out to see if it's started working again yet or not.. I did call the breakdown people, they're supposed to call me back.
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

ok this is bizarre, very bizarre in fact.... breakdown guy came out, saw there was no power, hooked it up to the jump socket on his truck, got power "ah dead battery".... drove to a place (~5mins away) that does car batteries (kept cropping up with errors randomly on the way) etc, bought the battery, the guy helped me fit it (unfortunately I should have printed out the battery change process, could only remember some bits from memory)... wasn't sure about connecting the cables together, since I didn't have "some kind of resistance" to put them through.

Anyway with the new battery in, the car refused to start, went and got the guy back, he got out a booster, connected it up, the headlights etc came on, started the car, the headlights were going a bit "funky" as if not enough power, turned it off, and there was a clicking from round the ignition...... He went and got the old battery back.... Connected that up...... and it all seemed fine!! Drove the car back home (gingerly, as it felt like the suspension was a bit low - checked when I got back, it was ok!)

had to redo the clock etc
But at the moment the car seems ok, will try lexia-ing it later to see if it moans about anything.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Not sure if this applies to your C5 but generally speaking in this situation with the majority of cars, when you have problems with the alarm going off unlock the door with the key, quickly turn on the ignition and then (if fitted) press the alarm movement sensor button which turns off the alarm.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

DickieG wrote:Not sure if this applies to your C5 but generally speaking in this situation with the majority of cars, when you have problems with the alarm going off unlock the door with the key, quickly turn on the ignition and then (if fitted) press the alarm movement sensor button which turns off the alarm.
would this apply if the car seems "dead/asleep" from the ignition? nothing would come on at the time when turning the key. I guess it's also possible that I could have just disconnected and reconnected the positive cable, for it to all wake up again.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Ben82 wrote:would this apply if the car seems "dead/asleep" from the ignition? nothing would come on at the time when turning the key.
I don't know the answer to that but on the basis that it's free, quick and easy it's got to be worth a try :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

DickieG wrote:
Ben82 wrote:would this apply if the car seems "dead/asleep" from the ignition? nothing would come on at the time when turning the key.
I don't know the answer to that but on the basis that it's free, quick and easy it's got to be worth a try :lol:
I would have if the car was still in the state it was in :). It seems "content" now, but once I finish work, I'll head out again with my lexia, and see if the car starts still, probably will drive round the block a few times (just so I'm within walking distance of home if anything happens)
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

well she seems a happy bunny at the moment, went out to get a jump start kit (just in case I ever have this situation again!) afterwards used the Lexia.... nothing too unexpected "lost communication", "under voltage" etc Cleared them all. Drove to get some shopping, and then drove back, and re-checked the lexia, only returning errors are my ones that I get about the Instrument Panel, and the cats "aging", oh and that my aerial isn't in.

Not sure what to think... it can't be because the battery was drained (it wasn't charged up long enough by the car) to be that... Really don't know why the new battery couldn't start the car (it is the right one for the car, a Tudor TA770), and why the old battery worked like a charm when apparently would have been discharged.
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

at least it seems to have sorted its self out now
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN