ZX Diesel Hot Starting

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Woody

ZX Diesel Hot Starting

Post by Woody »

I have had this problem for over a year now - there must be somebody out there with the soloution!! My ZX starts first time every time from cold and runs well. As it warms up it runs perfect but if I stop it, it is progressively more difficult to start until when hot it will not restart on starter. However, it will bump start very eaily at walking pace and run fine. Tried all the usual things, air leaks, glows, etc. Starter motor seems OK but could it be this as it will bump start OK.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Could it be a dodgy fuel cut-off electrovalve on the roto pump ?
Guess this has a hard time when hot - if it's on it's way out.
Once engine is running - the vibrations helps the valve rattle into fully open position.
Philjw
My Cars:

Post by Philjw »

Have you considered the condition of the battery?
I know this sounds like a long shot but I have just changed mine in response to this post (It was original equipment on my 97 19TD so has done well to last this long.)
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=3177
and touch wood it has started OK when warm this week.
It could be that the heater plugs come on when cold and encourage the lump to fire up whilst from warm there is no assistance & the cranking speed is not enough to start the engine.
A swap for a known good battery would prove this but be sure you have the radio code before unbolting the old battery and that you know how to key it in.
Phil
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I've recently put a new battery on my Xantia 1.9TD and it cured this problem.
Nick
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

When the engine's hot try carefully disconnecting an injector feed pipe at the intector end and see if any diesel squirts out when the engine is cranked. If nothing comes out then your pump may be worn out as mine was on my old Audi 80 TurboD. It used to start fine from cold. But was a devil to start from hot. Yet it would bump start easily and then run fine. But it ran even better after i'd had a new (recon) Bosch pump fitted (400 quid later..boo hoo)