Advice re Saxo's

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

isisalar
My Cars:

Advice re Saxo's

Post by isisalar »

My wife's old L reg Peugot 106 diesel has finally bitten the dust(see tale of woe thread) and it's going to be replaced with a younger version. Probably this time it will be called a Citroen Saxo. Ludicrously, having had a quick look yesterday on Autotrader, Peugeot 106's are roughly 50% more expensive than equivilant Saxo's!!!!!
We have a budget of around £500 and surprisingly there's quite few respectable cars available.
Whilst I've not ruled out another diesel they're rare and I think the most suitable engine would be the 1.1i.
Can anyone tell me how good or bad this engine is, fuel consumption, performance compared to the diesel?Edit I,ve just discovered there are 54 & 60 bhp versions, How do you tell the difference, which one's better?
Any known faults on Saxo's generally to look out for?
What's the availability of power steering, did it become standard at some point?
I look forward to your feedback.
Kind regards
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: Advice re Saxo's

Post by DickieG »

PSA 1.1 engines eat head gaskets for breakfast in that it's very common for the gasket to fail resulting in oil mixing in with the coolant to make a horrible brown sludge/slurry in the cooling system, the one saving grace is that replacing the head gasket is quite straightforward.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I seem to think the higher hp one is the multipoint although I'm not sure if that made it into the 106 / Saxo, it did in 206's.

As above headgasket fail common although easy to change, annoying they have liners but otherwise OK. Normally you can see on the 'shelf' (look at engine bay near timing belt there's a protrusion casting), oil on here if not rocker cover seal is HG starting.

Very late ones even have some pointer on the cambelt tensioner although that again might not apply to the Saxo / 106. No problem to to a thumb tension anyway.

Clean breathers out if needed, usual check if its mayo under the filler cap walk away or negotiate discount. Could just be short running but maybe not.

Running problems, the 1.1 seems more reliable than the 1.4 I think, enough in breakers for things like stepper motors etc if needed. Some odd problems can be caused by clogged fuel filter (if fitted) as its on the nearside sill and its nearly always neglected. Change every 3/4 years / 40K (36K on earlier models)

EDIT... Regarding PAS I can only speak of the 106:

Newer shape 97 on it was optional on some and standard on others. Electric hydraulic pump. Wiring can corrode if you're unlucky but not too bad to sort out. Requires working alternator to function as it uses the charge signal to start the pump via a relay if I remember correctly. Not all even 02/03 plates had PAS though so do not assume a very late one will have it.

General build OK on later ones although if like mine the build quality on the last year (same as the 205's actually I personally feel) is not as good as the previous years somehow, maybe they switched plants or something.

Diesel as you know rare in later years in good condition at a sensible mileage. 02/03 plates have TUD5B units (electronic advance pump and ECU atop the battery) no real issues as such with these. Do not seem that common.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Thanks Spider
I'm looking at 106's as well, do you know what models had PAS as standard?
Thanks
Paul
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4
2005 C5 3 Litre V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue and my 1997 Xantia Exclusive V6

Post by Harlequin »

pas standard from 2000 on for saxo all but most basic models (likely 106 as well)
Simon
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I know that is is over the budget, but if it is good enough I wonder if that is an issue;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 05#p353305" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

That's certainly more than twice as much car as I would expect to get for 500 and I really appreciate your posting. Funds are though are very limited and a long mot and tax to get through the next few months is the major priority at present. I will certainly be in touch if things improve. it sounds very tempting.
Thanks
Paul
Edit 3 or 5 doors?
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

After all the stress and hassle over the past week re the wife killing the 106 I am delighted to announce that, with some help from family, Ive managed to secure:-
02, Saxo 1.1i desire, 65k, 2 owners, 6 months tax, 12 months mot, new discs, pads, shoes,and drums. New tyres all round, ABS, P.A.S., c/locking, e/windows, sliding sunroof, front fogs, 14"alloys etc.
Silver/grey cloth, factory radio/cd.
Bodywork virtually as new, interior A1, alloys totally unmarked, everything works.It's a stunner. And not very much over budget.
The scrappie man is coming with £130 0n Thursday for the old diesel, and we're going to pick up the new one tomorrow.
Now hopefully I can concentrate on the Xantia.
We now have a matching set of silver Citroens.
Are these alloys standard on the desire? I've seen them fitted to VTR models advertised I think.
So glad to have it sorted out at last, now for round two with the insurance companies, but that's a thread in it's own right.
Kind regards
Paul
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white