XUD Bosch VE Pump query

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Geoff Lebowski

XUD Bosch VE Pump query

Post by Geoff Lebowski »

On early (circa 1990) Bosch equipped xud turbos there was a timing advance mechanism on the front side of the pump. Whilst some were mechanical and some were hydraulic (on later models circa mid '90s) they were there to advance the timing a few degrees for cold starting.
On later models, but before the TPS and ecu were involved (P plate 96/97), this timing advance module disappears.
Does anyone know why?
citronut
My Cars:

Re: XUD Bosch VE Pump query

Post by citronut »

didnt they just have a cable operated by a wax stat which released the cold start lever which just let the revs drop to normal tick over,
and later one's had a servo but also the wax stat that opened and closed a set of contacts, which fed the servo with a negative/ground connection,
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I think most turbo's had the advance unit with the contacts on the fast cable as Malcolm has said, earlier NA units did not have this unit fitted as far as I can tell.

Having removed one from a (mechanical advance pump) and fitted the blanking plate, it made no real difference to its cold running as the fast idle cable did all the work in effect. I'd assume they deleted it from some models (warmer climates maybe) as it did not really need it.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The later mechanical VP20 had electrical cold advance. What looked vaguely like a stop solenoid on the side of the pump the front timing device plate activated it..

Otherwise all others had mechanical cold advance...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Geoff Lebowski

Post by Geoff Lebowski »

That's the later type Jim, yes, the ones that look like a stop solenoid.
It's the Lucas pumps that use the wax stat combined with an electrical contact to both advance timing and increase revs.
The Bosch, uses the same waxstat for increased cold idle, but had a separate 'device' for timing advance, be it coolant/mechanical or electrical/hydraulic.

My query rises from repeated cold start lumpiness. I have checked/renewed the glow plugs, all contacts are nice and clean/sound, the battery is only a couple of years old and the alternator is good. The glow plug relay is also sound. I've even advanced the pump a degree permanently to no avail.

Injectors maybe, buy they aren't normally associated with poor starting (AFAIK). Economy is good. I've not checked compression but I've had the engine from new and it's been regularly maintained.

Spider, I'm inclined to agree with you - that the manufacturers deemed it a 'redundant' (expensive???) device, but that goes completely against the grain as far as Euro emissions are concerned.

I wondered if PSA changed the camshaft timing, or the VE pump timing was altered. Either more advanced or possibly an internal change.

I have to say I think CAV pumps are better starters, hot or cold.....
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Most of the ones I have had didn't work anyway, the waxstat doesn't seem to last for very long, I did replace one but it didn't make a fat lot of difference.

Peter
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Geoff Lebowski wrote:That's the later type Jim, yes, the ones that look like a stop solenoid.
It's the Lucas pumps that use the wax stat combined with an electrical contact to both advance timing and increase revs.
The Bosch, uses the same waxstat for increased cold idle, but had a separate 'device' for timing advance, be it coolant/mechanical or electrical/hydraulic.

My query rises from repeated cold start lumpiness. I have checked/renewed the glow plugs, all contacts are nice and clean/sound, the battery is only a couple of years old and the alternator is good. The glow plug relay is also sound. I've even advanced the pump a degree permanently to no avail.

Injectors maybe, buy they aren't normally associated with poor starting (AFAIK). Economy is good. I've not checked compression but I've had the engine from new and it's been regularly maintained.

Spider, I'm inclined to agree with you - that the manufacturers deemed it a 'redundant' (expensive???) device, but that goes completely against the grain as far as Euro emissions are concerned.

I wondered if PSA changed the camshaft timing, or the VE pump timing was altered. Either more advanced or possibly an internal change.

I have to say I think CAV pumps are better starters, hot or cold.....
Have you ruled out air ingress by replacing the leak off pipes, and replaced the filter to pump pipe with a clear one?also blown down the fuel return to make sure it is clear?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool