Lower radiator hose, Xsara

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Raevin
New User

Lower radiator hose, Xsara

Post by Raevin »

Hey everyone,

I've got myself into some serious trouble here. I've asked around but nobody seems to be able to tell me what's wrong as nobody i knows drives a French car. Appearently French cars are "special" when it comes to lower radiator hoses as everyone else seems to have the simple "o-ring clamp" style attachments whilsts my own car has a "Bayonet" attachment.

My radiator had a small crack in the plastic area near the upper radiator hose, it was leaking a little bit and i figured it'd be best to replace the radiator incase it cracked wide open while driving somewhere far away. I ordered a new radiator but sadly the lower hose attachment was different so i returned it. I already took my old one out and decided to put it back in.... this is where all the trouble started. The lower radiator hose won't close properly and i can by the life of me not figure out why. I got new o-rings but this didn't help one bit and it leaked just as bad. I inspected the radiator and the hose itself incase i damaged either one of them while i took it out, this didn't seem the case.

I've looked around everywhere but other brands don't seem to have this thus help is hard to find. The only thing i've been able to find is people complaining how much of a pain in the bum these "French fittings" are :(

Seeing as i can't drive without a radiator and fluid won't stay in, i'm stranded... which is a huge issue as one might imagine. Is there anyone here, by any chance, that could tell me what on earth i might be doing wrong or how i might be able to fix this ? I added two pictures to show what hose i'm talking about.

It's a 1998 (march) Citroen Xsara 1.4i Berline, any help would be extremely appreciated!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Lower radiator hose, Xsara

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I don't know if this is of assistance, as it is for a Xantia, not a Xsara, but it is for that problem;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=42914" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Raevin
New User

Post by Raevin »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:I don't know if this is of assistance, as it is for a Xantia, not a Xsara, but it is for that problem;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=42914" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tyvm for the response!

I've had a look at that topic before posting it but i'm not sure if the Xantia has the same bayonet type as the Xsara as i'm not exactly sure what he means with "this time and the bayonet & seal popped in" as i've not noticed it ever "popping in" as much as simply sliding in. It's not completely snugg though, i can still move it slightly after clipping it in guessing it has to be quite tight and "unmovable".
mpdevice
My Cars:

Post by mpdevice »

I am struggling with the same problem on a ZX which has the same fitting and radiator as my Xsara. They are a right pain in the **** and I have not yet finished fitting it today. You have to get a brand new seal as the old one will have grown to some degree and it is virtually impossible the get the seal into place otherwise as it tries to bulge out wherever possible. And you need some kind of lube to get the seal into the gap. There is no point fitting it onto the hose as it will never go into the right place to do the sealing as you have no force available to push the hose assy into the radiator this way. So try to get the seal on over the hose assy, partly insert it gently into the radiator and see that it does not try to squeeze out somewhere again. This is a painful procedure in itself. Once that is achieve you have to shove the lot in without the seal popping out again. The last time I partly succeeded with the job I was unable to fit the lower clip as there is no access and with the little you have there is just no way exert sufficient force onto the hose end to push it in properly. Thankfully it held with one clip in position. I was thinking of making up some tool up I don't know what.
All that appears to help is a lot of patience, swearing and small hands and lot of foce. The job on an old ZX could take 30 minutes but stretches on forever because of this design blunder! Bring back the jubilee clips!
Maybe it would be best to buy a lower hose assy, fit that first and insert it with the radiator. Lift of course required.