Xantia erratic idle, stalling and more...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Quick question - why not get one of those little ECU readers, I got one for the other halfs AX, for £20 from the chain starting with Hal.
It immediately identified the readings from the coolant temperature sensor as being eratic. Replaced this and the problem went permanently. Symptoms were starting from warm, flat spots, engine dying, all sorts.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

On a simpler note is the fuel filter blocked? possibly with water?
EDD

Post by EDD »

You hav'nt checked the the spark plugs, might be worth investigating.It could be something simple like tracking or they could be badly contaminated.
EDD
rj
My Cars:

Post by rj »

[:D][:D][:D]Hi JAMES QB
You must have the keys to my car!
well it is exactly the same car anyway.
Guess what it has exactly the same symptoms.
I also changed stepper motor and potentiometer, after breaking down several times and going to several different auto sparks none of which could find any fault code registered.
Then one day the ECU light came on and they still did not find any faults until they took it out and cleaned connections and then it gave a reading-gues what "THE MAP SENSOR".
Apparently a regular occurance in the Xsara which strangly enough has the same part no for its map sensor.
Well hope this does the trick, let me know!
lhm_leak
My Cars:

Post by lhm_leak »

I wouldn't place too much reliance on the fault codes, especially in circumstances like this. My other half's Cavalier had a similar problem to this one, so I read out the fault code using the bent paperclip method and it told me I had a faulty mass airflow sensor. After wetting myself with shock at the price of a replacement, I decided to have a look at the ISCV anyway as I've had trouble with those things on just about every injected car I've ever had - including my 2.0i 8v Xantia. Sure enough, the lower fixing bolt was stripped of it's thread ( don't ask - I don't know... ) and the valve itself was full of muck. Cleaned it and refitted it properly - the car's been running fine ever since. So much for fault codes.
Stu.
AWG
My Cars:

Post by AWG »

Bent paperclip method?
lhm_leak
My Cars:

Post by lhm_leak »

Yes, a simple method where you bridge two contacts in the diagnostic connector using, say, a bent paper clip - the fault codes can then be read out as flashes of the fault lamp on the instrument panel. I could be wrong, but I don't think you can use these "slow" codes on Citroen ECUs, they only support "fast" codes requiring a separate reader. I've been toying with developing something simple and cheap to read the fast codes (maybe other data as well, like the real-time sensor outputs found on some ECUs) and display them on a PC, PDA or even a suitable mobile phone (the ones with downloadable games should work), just haven't had the time to get it all sorted yet.
Stu.
smk123

Post by smk123 »

Glad to know i'm not the only one out there. I too have a xantia 1.8 16v '96 with erractic idle and stalling problems. Have had the problem for over a year and cannot resolve it. I have taken it into Citroen to test the fault diagnosis but it returned everything was fine. Apart from guessing that the problem lied within the stepper motor they weren't much use especially as they wanetd to charge me over £90.00 an could not guarantee this would sort it.
Need less to say i took the stepper moor off and cleaned it and replaced it with a second hand one but problem remained.
Annoying thing is that it can work for weeks no problem then plays up and goes months with the stalling . It just drops its revs and wont hold and idle.
Did you change the throttle potentiometer and did it resolve the problem. don't really want to go out buying parts that may not cure the fault
Stephen
JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Post by JamesQB »

I've been away for a while now but I did get the car working and haven't had a problem since. The problem turned out to be with the idle speed control valve (stepper motor). I removed and opened my one up completely which wasn't clever as I had quite a job getting it back together and working especially since hair-fine wires broke, but thanks to my knowledge of electronics repair I was able to do the job with some soldering.
Anyway, dismantling the motor completely showed it to be a very basic unit. The trouble was that the spindle lubrication had disappeared and so the spindle didn't turn as easily and smoothly as it should do. I found the trouble was more where the spindle goes into an indentation in the bottom end of the motor assembly inside. A good clean up and re-grease did the job with plently of WD40 splashed around to really get the muck out.
Of course, dismantling the sealed unit was unnecessary - some squirts of WD40 into the opening at the top or better still, a good soak in petrol and then WD40 with some drying time would have done the job.
Seems that the valve would stick sometimes because of the spindle not spinning freely so it wasn't in the correct position for regulating the airflow through the throttle housing. Also, there was lots of muck on the end of the valve and all around the valve seat and chamber, the oil being overfilled at some stage seems to have sent the excess into this part of the throttle housing where it got cooked and became a thick black sludge which covered everything and blocked some airways inside the throttle housing.
All in all, the car is running well now. Revs remain constant when they should do, car doesn't ever stall unless I do something stupid and the car is generally smoother, especially when taking your foot off the accelerator and gliding as the engine starts to slow the car down, instead of the kangaroo jumps that would give me minor whiplash each time, there's a smooth deceleration. Reminds me of at least two other cars I know of that kangaroo jump in those circumstances... must try cleaning the throttle housing and associated parts and making sure all airways are clear as can be.
James
tanov
My Cars:

Post by tanov »

Hi,
I have the same problem with idle when the Citroen AX is hot and I when I touch just a little the accelerator pedal the idle goes down and the engine tries to stop. I have replaced the throttle potentiometer because of electric drops before this problem.But the problem with
idle remains :-(.Can you help me to solve this problem. vladi_tanov@yahoo.com
tanov
My Cars:

Post by tanov »

Hi,
I have the same problem with idle when the Citroen AX is hot and I when I touch just a little the accelerator pedal the idle goes down and the engine tries to stop. I have replaced the throttle potentiometer because of electric drops before this problem.But the problem with
idle remains :-(.Can you help me to solve this problem. vladi_tanov@yahoo.com
MrXantia
My Cars:

Post by MrXantia »

Exiting.
I have had the same problems on my '98 Xantia 1.8 16V but not very outspoken. Sometimes it acts up, but it always dissapears when I stop the engine for a couple of minutes and then turn it on again. But I have some problems when accellerating reminding of yours, so I would like to try your lubing discovery. Please can anyone tell me where the idle speed control valve is placed?