1997 xantia ran out of petrol, now green and red light on im

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pedro100

1997 xantia ran out of petrol, now green and red light on im

Post by pedro100 »

Please please somebody help me. I have a 97 Xantia, fuel gauge a bit dodgy so i think o ran out of petrol last night as fuel was low and it cut out on motorway. Got some petrol but then the red and green light keeps coming on imobiliser and car wont start. Had to get it towed home, tried disconnecting batt for half hour, tried leaving ignition on full for half hour but still same. Is there any way to bypass this as I dont have the cash for expensive auto elec to come out. Any help appreciated please please and thank you

pedro100
dnsey

Re: 1997 xantia ran out of petrol, now green and red light o

Post by dnsey »

Are you sure that the cutting-out was due to lack of fuel?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hello Pedro. Good to see you here :-D

Did you see my response to you over on Club-XM?

If not, it was basically this:
I've never had the problem myself luckily but others have and despite reading some threads on the subject I can't for the life of me recall why this problem happens. All I seem to recall is the two lights mean the keypad and ECU have lost contact with each other.

How running out of petrol might have caused it is a mystery though but read on...

It's worth checking the gravity (or intertia) switch has not tripped. This can be found in the corner of the engine bay by the driver's side (RHD) strut top and has a rubber cap on it. Press it to reset it. Also check that all engine bay fuses are intact as perhaps running out of fuel caused the pump in the tank to overheat due to running dry and that may have caused an ECU supply fuse to have blown. If the ECU is not seeing all it's power feeds than this may well affect communication with the keypad.
let us know exactly what model of Xantia you have and most importantly, what engine/ECU
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
pedro100

Post by pedro100 »

Hi guys, thanks for coming back to me.
its a 1997 xantia 1.6. Not 100% sure if i ran out of petrol, i knew it was low but somedays the fuel light comes on and then you atart it again and it doesn so not certain. It just cut out as i was driving and then the problem with the green and red lights came on.No idea what to do. Thanks jim for directing me to this site
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I think it's an earth fault - start with checking the quality of the earth clamp on the battery, then the earths on the inner wing, and then the gearbox earth strap. Probably also worth checking the state of the +ve battery clamp as well, but as you can't start it, you can't see if it's getting hot or not.... :?
Richard W
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

It is possible that the fuel gauge issue is due to gunge on the sender unit in the tank. I don't know that gunge builds up in a petrol tank, but it certainly does (over time) in a diesel tank.

The following link has (on the fifth entry) a photo of a gungy fuel sender;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=42242" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Are you 100% sure it's not your ignition amplifier? This you describe, is its symptom to a tee.
Northern_Mike

Re:

Post by Northern_Mike »

addo wrote:Are you 100% sure it's not your ignition amplifier? This you describe, is its symptom to a tee.
Yes, the same thing happened to my 1.8 Petrol.....
pedro100

Post by pedro100 »

What exactly is an ignition amplifier and might I be able to fix sucha thing and forgive me ignorance
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The module will look something like this:

http://www.piecesvoitures.com/pieces-de ... 3-601.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's important to apply a consistent layer of the supplied heat transfer paste, however this should not be extremely thick.
pedro100

Post by pedro100 »

Do you know if this easy to fit thanks
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

pedro100 wrote:Do you know if this easy to fit thanks
Very easy indeed :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

If both red and green are on on the keypad at the same time that usually indicates a communication problem. Its saying it cannot talk to the ECU or Texton.

Examine the large round multiplugs in the engine bay, not sure where they are on a Xantia, on a 406 they are infront of the battery near the radiator. A problem here (male pins both sides on some, not a brilliant idea) can cause the keypad to do this.

I wonder if something else was disturbed in the process.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG