Xantia Driving Seat

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

acrowot
My Cars:

Xantia Driving Seat

Post by acrowot »

The Driving seat in my Xantia is adjustable for height (well it should be, but mine is faulty), it can be adjusted but it will not lock in place. That is if I adjust it to the high position and then sit on it, it falls to the low position. Has anyone come across this problem? and what was the solution? Are parts available to repair this mechanism, I am taking it for an MOT when I get it back from the body shop, would this be a failure point? (skip waggon ran into the nearside,left, doors when I was stopped in lane 2 at traffic lights, I was not best pleased, I have a Peugeot 406 HDI hire car for now, very nice but I would like my Xantia back).
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Sounds like a missing/defective/detached retaining spring somewhere in the mechanism.
Nigel Darwell

Post by Nigel Darwell »

Mine did the same, turned out to have come loose from the actual seat, on taking the level assembly off it appears imposible to screw it back on again, looks like it is attached then the plastic case is riveted on. does anyone know how to re-attach it ?
surfer
My Cars:

Post by surfer »

Same thing happened to me:
Drivers seat always started in highest position and then sank back down fully under your weight.
Caused by the adjuster mechanism (which also locks the position) coming away from the seat frame.
It isn't riveted; it's held by 2 M6 screws which tighten into clinch nuts on a flimsy looking sheet metal bracket on the frame.
I sorted mine by using longer screws, Loctite and locking the whole lot off with nyloc nuts.
Not had a problem since.
Access is fiddly, but the job can be done with the seat in situ.
Note that the adjuster assembly is splined onto a shaft on the seat so make sure they are correctly aligned before you put it back on. If I remember rightly, it's easier to do this with the seat fully down.
Simon.
acrowot
My Cars:

Post by acrowot »

I have my car back now and I have repaired the height adjuster, it was as surfer said (thanks surfer) except the bolts were M5 and were missing.