anit polution fault and the mot - fail

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

C5Alan
My Cars:

anit polution fault and the mot - fail

Post by C5Alan »

OK I have the mot in a couple of months so need to start thinking about this. The anitpolution fault comes on when the car is cold I get the service light and the wee engine light on the dash, this has been since I went through a big puddle and caused a possible bent con rod still not done a compression test too cold out there to confirm.

What is the chances she will fail for this or do I just make sure she is driven around until fully warmed up and it goes out then get her tested. There is no smoke or anything and she still runs fine
2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110hp Exclusive only done 218,000miles so just about run in. Family owned from new. Now Sold

2002 Renault Scenic 1.9Dci 111,000miles the new work bus
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: anit polution fault and the mot - fail

Post by Peter.N. »

If you had bent a con rod I think the engine would be running very unevenly and would likely start up on three cylinders, if its as smooth as before I think its unlikely. The problem could be caused by water in the electrics. If the lights go off when its hot, make sure they are out when you take it in.

Peter
C5Alan
My Cars:

Post by C5Alan »

On another topic it was diagnose as a possible slight bend due to a very wet airfilter possibly sucking water in. I have to say I cant be 100% sure its as smooth as it was its my first diesel so it always sounded a little rough. Doubt its water in electrics as it was 3-4000 miles ago and she is still running and it would have dried out by now
2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110hp Exclusive only done 218,000miles so just about run in. Family owned from new. Now Sold

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

OK on the water. I think you would notice if you had a bent conrod as that piston would hit TDC later than its partner and wouldn't come quite as high so the compression would be down which I would think would cause a misfire when cold. The only experience I have had with one was on an old Perkins engine which wouldn't run because the bottom of the rod was hitting the liner.

Peter
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

have you checked the maf if its been wet it may have started to go green and give false readings
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
C5Alan
My Cars:

Post by C5Alan »

maf was removed and cleaned using brake cleaner as that was all I had to hand at the time after being told to stay away from wd40 was gona try one from a scrap yard but couple I looked at either where petrol or the engine was gone this was a couple of weeks ago when I was getting a new drivers seat so might try looking again.

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I cleaned mine using 'Easystart' that's pretty volatile - and it smells nice and it relaxes you :-D

Peter
C5Alan
My Cars:

Post by C5Alan »

never thought of that I am sure I have some left from an old audi I had that was near death when I bought it but still got 18 months outta it easy start was used for the last month then sold as spares or repair