Xantia Problems: Keypad code change, doorlocks, radio code

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alastair70

Xantia Problems: Keypad code change, doorlocks, radio code

Post by alastair70 »

I would like to change the immobilser code on my 97 xantia diesel, as it is getting harder to input one of the numbers. Can i do it myself ??? Does anyone have a guide on how to do it please?

I can't lock the car as the car only came with ignition key and it is just turning in the door lock and not locking any of the doors. If I was to buy a new fob of ebay would I need the one or two button version? Then could it be programmed to operate the central locking (which works when inside the car) if so is there a guide to do this also?

Finally surprise surprise my battery has been disconnected several times and I didn't get a code for the radio when I bought the car. How do I find the serial number of the radio so I can get a code to make it work? Does the radio have to come out & if so how do I take it out?

Thanks
Al
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia Problems: Keypad code change, doorlocks, radio co

Post by CitroJim »

Al,

I can't recall exactly from the top of my head how to change the keypad code but I think it's enter the old code until the green light comes on, press the C button until it bleeps, enter the new code, ensuring you get a bleep each time and then pressing the C button again until it bleeps.

Don't take my word for it though as I may have got that wrong. Can anyone please confirm that's right or wrong? Thanks... Don't try it until it's confirmed :wink:

The door lock problem you have is either caused by wear in the lock or if they are all spinning then the key is different for doors and ignition suggesting the ignition switch has been changed at some time. If only one lock barrel spins and all others work then that would be wear in that individual barrel.

If it's an S1 Xantia (97 it is assumed to be) then a 2 button Infra Red plip will be needed. There is a guide on here somewhere how to sync them.

Again, an S1 radio is easy enough to decode. You may find someone on here will be happy to do it for you or recommend the small piece of software that can do the job. Sadly I no longer have it as I do not have access to any Windows machines these days. All you/they need is the full serial number of the radio.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

It is possible to sync an IR plip, and the following link covers it;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... ip#p350175" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

alastair70 wrote: Finally surprise surprise my battery has been disconnected several times and I didn't get a code for the radio when I bought the car. How do I find the serial number of the radio so I can get a code to make it work? Does the radio have to come out & if so how do I take it out?

Thanks
Al
Radio is easy to get out, pull off plastic surround, and 4 torx screws - 2 at the top, and two at the bottom hold the radio in..
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Doorlock barrel spinning: Could well be just a matter of stuck tumblers (rather than a key/barrel mismatch). The serrations on the key blades push the tumblers outwards and they rely on little springs to push them back to the correct place. After a few years, the mechanism wears and accumulates a load of cr4p inside.

The solution is to give the lock barrel a dose of WD40 (ideal for this purpose): armed with plenty of paper wipes or kitchen towel, a short squirt of WD40 into the key slot then slid the key in and out several times. Repeat several times, wiping the key clean in between. When the tumblers are nice and free (and hopefully the lock working), get rid of the excess WD40 by carefully poking the corner of a bit of clean cotton rag (that's what handerchiefs are for!) into the key slot. Work the tumblers some more, cleaning off the key until it comes out more or less dry. I've had to do the passenger door recently as SWMBO was having to come round to the drivers door to unlock the car (I'm not an MCP - I'm the one who usually needs to unlock the car with both hands full.

Link to download radio decode software here but you will need the serial number off the radio.

Jim - for those rare occasions when I need to use a bit of Windoze software, my laptop is dual boot with Lucid and Vista Business :-**
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
alastair70

Post by alastair70 »

Thanks for the replies fellas, just a couple of points I'm unsure on. Firstly, if I get a 2 button FOB and reprogram it will this then do the locking and unlocking?

Old-guy, thanks for the tips about the locks I will try this as soon as the weather gets better, I didn't understand some of your abbriations though.
I've had to do the passenger door recently as SWMBO was having to come round to the drivers door to unlock the car (I'm not an MCP - I'm the one who usually needs to unlock the car with both hands full.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed
MCP = Male Chauvinist Pig
alastair70

Post by alastair70 »

Thanks for that Mike
Old-Guy

Post by Old-Guy »

Thanks for the replies fellas, just a couple of points I'm unsure on. Firstly, if I get a 2 button FOB and reprogram it will this then do the locking and unlocking?
Yup! If your key (that matches the locks) has a defunct IR fob, you can easily fit the electronic guts from a second-hand but working fob and then resync it. If you're lucky, you may find a scrapyard that has a working fob.
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
alastair70

Post by alastair70 »

I spent some time doing your suggestions today. Changed the immobilser code without a problem, however the locks just keeps turning even after 10 mins of in & out with the key and a good liberal spraying of WD40. I've got a bid on a remote fob on fleabay so hopefully that will work to lock the car. The radio however is a different matter. It's not the standard Bpunt, but a Clarion. However when powered up the led display shows 4 lines where to enter a code however it didn't matter which button I pressed no numbers came up on the display. Even a tape wouldn't work. It is a Pu-1562A model with the serial of, 0027460 So I think it may be knackered, unless anyone has some advice for me, I think I will start looking for another radio. Any one got any ideas please?

Cheers
Al
Old-Guy

Post by Old-Guy »

It sounds as though the steering lock has been changed at some time in the past, so that key matches the steering lock but not the doors.

Did your first post imply that you have no fob (plipper) at all; just one after-market key that only fits the steering lock?

No key for the doors and thus only able to unlock the doors with the plipper, is really bad news; when the plipper fails (breaks or has flat batteries) you're completely stuck if the car is locked (it will be!). :cry:
alastair70

Post by alastair70 »

I don't even have a plipper, just been relying on the immboliser, and keeping nothing of any value in the car. I have found a pipper but not sure if it is the right one. Could some tell me if this would work with my 97 (P) reg?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170978114367? ... 1426.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't suppose anyone has a door lock & key they don't want for Yorkshire money!!!!!

Cheers
Al
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

alastair70 wrote:

I don't suppose anyone has a door lock & key they don't want for Yorkshire money!!!!!
What! Groats? Can't use them outside Tykeland.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Probably not, as that is for an S2 Xantia, using a radio link to the car. IIRC earlier cars used infra red to link (but I could be wrong).

Barring the fact that this has no case, this is probably what you need;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-XSARA ... 19d649fdb3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Old-Guy

Post by Old-Guy »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Probably not, as that is for an S2 Xantia, using a radio link to the car. IIRC earlier cars used infra red to link (but I could be wrong).

Barring the fact that this has no case, this is probably what you need;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-XSARA ... 19d649fdb3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
S1 Xantias do indeed have infra-red remote locking/alarm. That fleebay item is just the guts for an Infra-Red fob (plipper) - not much help as you need the whole thing.

Ideally what you need is a key (in a working IR fob) and at least one matching lock barrel for the driver's door. Then you can program the central locking to match the fob and you'll also have a key to unlock the doors if/when the fob isn't working. It would be sensible to get spare ignition and spare door keys cut ( Mr Minit).

Citroenxm might be able to supply you with a key (with working fob) and matching door lock.