How to take out Xantia headlight glass?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JohnCKL
My Cars:

How to take out Xantia headlight glass?

Post by JohnCKL »

Hi guys,
My Xantia's headlights are getting a bit misty. I've heard the glass can be opened up by removing the clips. I have done so but the glass remains stuck fast to the headlights. Tried using a blade but the glass sounds like its breaking off. Do I have to use force to open up the glass or is there something else I need to do? I guess I have to remove the grill too. Any advice?
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I have not done this on a xantia but I once had to do it on a Skoda Favorit, and on this once the clips were off the glass was still held in by bathroom type silicone sealant to keep out the moisture, and you will have to clean it off and then reseal the new glass.
It will be a lot easier to do with the lamp out as the lens will most likely break.
Are they misty as a result of moisture? If so you may only need to reseal them.
Guru Meditation

Post by Guru Meditation »

Hmmm...I'd like to know the answer to this question-the headlights on my ZX are ****. They are the twin H4 bulbs. They are broken on their mounts and pretty dim so I'd like to clean inside. Why is it every car I own has broken headlights??? How the hell do they get broken-both side are held in by cable ties:-(
I heard the Xantia has a headlight problem in that they don't get the full 12v feed or summat due to poor wiring design-is the same true of the ZX?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

John!
You can't get at all the clips without at least removing the front bumper panel and preferably the whole headlight assy. too. That's probably why you're having trouble getting the glass off. Then there is a rubber/plasticy seal between the glass and reflector, but it should come off without too much resistance. Try easing with a wide bladet tool of some kind.
//NiSk
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

Nisk, thanks for your advice. I didn't remove anything prior to removing the 3 top clips, no wonder it didn't come off. I thought it was that easy. Yup, bxbodger, I will reseal the glass with silicone once I'm through cleaning it. Don't know why it's kinda misty, maybe they were not well sealed. Looking forward to having brighter lights, thanks guys.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi, the xantia headlight glass can be prized away fro the housing using a screwdriver and gentle persuasion. I have done it on both mie headlamps to clear mist.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

Just cleaning inside and out of lenses as I type. Also found the reflectors dirty on my Xantia. I will report back if it makes any difference.
Neil
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

wrinklet, thanks for the tip. Will be doing it next week and looking forward to crystal clear lens. Bonce, do let us know how much difference the cleaning makes.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

It made a big difference - be VERY careful if you wipe the reflector. On mine the silver started to come off and I was only wiping with a dry tissue.
Neil
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

bonce, thanks for the tip, sorry to hear the silver coming off your reflector, though. If my reflector isn't dusty, I will not touch it, based on your experience.
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

Did it at last. Cleaned the glass and also managed to lightly wipe the silver surface without it coming off. The silver surface scratches very easily and when I used the wiper cleaner to clean it, it somehow tarnished the silver a bit. Thereafter I just use a damp clean soft cloth without any detergent to clean the reflectors. Cleaned the glass with the wiper cleaner and dried it with hair dryer. Put some silicone sealant on the tacky seal and clipped it back. Now both headlights look crystal clear and brand new!
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

But are they any brighter? Mine were a bit better.
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

Can't really tell. Looks slightly brighter but no way to measure it. Should be brighter, after all, the haze on the glass and relectors have been removed. Well, the looks are there now, crystal clear and brand new looking, with a few scratches on the silver. Only the stone chipped outer surface of the glass gave it away. Makes you wonder where the haze inside comes from.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

I measured the voltage on the lamps - about 12v but getting 14v at the battery. I think I will rewire them to increase the voltage on the lamps. The light is a bit yellow instead of white, this is because of the volt drop I think.
neil