security code panel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mikep
My Cars:

security code panel

Post by mikep »

Citroen Xantia 1996

Is it possible to de-activate or by-pass the code panel ?
The number 1 on my panel takes five or six attempts to register, probably due to the cold weather
mikep

Citroen Xantia auto sx 1996
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Why not change the code to avoid the ones?
mikep
My Cars:

Re: security code panel

Post by mikep »

I did consider that, I'll have check the manual to see how to do it.
mikep

Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

If the same code has been in use for years, I'd change the code to something that doesn't:
a) use any of the old numbers
b) use the same number twice
I'd also make a note somewhere of the 'iffy' numbers in the old code. Eventually, you might find you're down to only 3 working numbers! :(

BTW this cold snap, my panel has become generally reluctant when the car is cold - I think the rubber is getting brittle with age.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
mikep
My Cars:

Post by mikep »

Thanks, I will take your advice, particularly about using the same number twice, I use two at the moment.
mikep

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Normally, the keypad can be disconnected with the engine running and then it's never needed again.

However, this does not apply to every engine/ECU combination. On some this method won't work and one known one is the 2.0TCT. I don't know about yours so there's only one way to see...

However, I'd not do away with the keypad, just change the code as already advised. I rather like the keypad where fitted.

If you've not got the instructions on how to them I'm sure one of us can advise how to do it. I can't recall exactly from the top of my head but I think it's enter the old code until the green light comes on, press the C button until it bleeps, enter the new code, ensuring you get a bleep each time and then pressing the C button again until it bleeps.

Don't take my word for it though as I may have got that wrong. Can anyone please confirm that's right or wrong? Thanks...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...