xud engine

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

timmsd

xud engine

Post by timmsd »

Just a mention to anyone considering a high mileage Citroen diesel.
I have dismantalled a number of these engines for rebuilding and I am amazed at what I find.
Two with 120,000 miles have been like new. No wear in any of the big end, main bearings, piston bores etc. In fact I was sure that one must have been an excahnge engine at first until I found this tend over and over.
Just looked at one that had done 180k and it is just showing a slight wear in the bearings and a very small bore wear but nothing a slight glaze busting won't recover.
I also had a 270k engine and .... that was knackered. Every bearing surface was worn badly an the pistons flopped about on the little ends. Crank had plenty ot sideways play etc.... it ran like a dream. Only the head gasket let it down in the end. However the oil was filthy and I expect it was the lack of oil changes in its later life that ruined it.
So in summary. Don't be afraid of very high mileage diesels if they have been regularly serviced. If they haven't... stay well clear as it doesn't take long for dirty oil to destroy the bearing surfaces.
I'm sure most people are aware of this but the lack of apparent wear in these engines at 150k+ really amazed me.
Dave