re program C5 fob

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Re: re program C5 fob

Post by Ben82 »

deano1970 wrote:well, I rang gallalock.com and it was some indian guy who asked if I lived near muswell hill.....aparently they know someone who can code the fobs to my car. I don't, I live absolutely miles away so he said he could send me a key fob, but I am reluctant incase It cannot be programmed to my car with a lexia....and further bad news was from citroen,who quoted me £280.00 for a replecement fob and said there would be an additional charge if I didn't have my four digit code, which i am trying to obtain from birdman.... I certainly have no plans to pay citroen almost three hundred quid for a key,so for now,it's going to be either left unlocked during the cold spell or hot water in the morning to get it moving.... I think that is a massive rip off personally.... :cry:
Yowzers! I knew they charged a premium, but almost £300 for a key is insane.... My new key is apparently in the post, so expecting that will arrive later in the week or possibly early next week.

Note: Rereading back over the original post you're after the remote function, the Citroen keys on carkeyhelp are not remotes, just key + chip for starting, that part kinda got lost in the discussion about keys etc, so probably not what you're after deano, so sorry about that. For me on the other hand a spare key (without remote) is all I really need. :)
Also from that you only have a hard key, it sounds like either, the car doesn't have remote central locking, or the original remote was lost?

Seeing your other posts too:
deano1970 wrote: ben, I had a look on that site and proceeded to order a key, only went so far, but it didn't seem to be asking me for a pic of the key? just my delivery details etc?? how does it work? cheers....cos if it does, I wouldn't mind getting one as a spare? I only have one key, which isn't good, thanks.....
It's on the key ordering screen (under Availability):
order.PNG
deano1970 wrote:hi derek, I have looked on the site ben has been on and they offer to cut a key,if you have either the key code, or a good digital picture, they are either very clever or very optimistic, but I hope it works because I wouldn't mind a spare and also yes, I think i might take a chance on a cheap one off e bay and see if it can be done....mandrake put some instructions on here as a download file,did you see it?? cheers,dean..
It might be worth you at the same time getting the remote key part cut for the remote (not entirely sure which one is correct), because I believe you'll need it anyway if you decide to go for one off ebay, or one from Gallilock, as they don't seem to offer the key cutting of the remote (that I could easily see). Even doing both will cost far less than getting the one from Citroen
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Also this looks like it could be a cheaper alternative for you since you have no existing remotes, but requires some wiring. Almost seems a bit too cheap though, though the fobs do look very cheap :lol:
deano1970
My Cars: citroen C5 estate 58 plate.........2.0 hdi

Post by deano1970 »

hi ben,
yes I know the key is just a key and transponder and i am also interested in one of those as I only have one key so would be nice to get a spare. My car should have a remote fob but the fob(s) have obviously been lost over time from previous owners.....I will wait to see if yours works first :) but on the site, it says it will still need to be programmed to your cars immobiliser system,which suggests a lexia anyway doesn't it?? otherwise,even if the key fits the lock,it wouldn't start the car( although I admit i don't really understand it all)...the site does have good reviews though, so in essence,I would like a hard key like you have ordered,and a fob to lock/unlock my car, doesn't matter if the blade fits the ignition, just the locking part is most important, so I might do as derek suggests and buy a cheap one off e bay and see if it can be done with a lexia?? :) :)
C5 X7
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Hi deano,

Yup I am expecting it is going to need to be paired using a lexia, but apparently get instructions with the key on pairing it, so will let you know once I have it. And like you my C5 only came with 1 key (always been used to having 2 sets with my cars, so was rather disappointed this came with one, shame that it was after money was exchanged that I asked for the 2nd key), so would rather have a 2nd just incase the first gets damaged or lost etc.
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

cheers ben, I look forward to hearing if it works......but if a hard key can be paired using a lexia, then surely a fob can also be paired also? I might just chance buying a cheap one off e bay,least I haven't spent a fortune then if it doesn't work...as for http://www.gallalock.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, did you notice that at the bottom of the page of the C5 keys, they appear to offer a cutting service as well for £15.00?? looks like if you supply a vin, they can use a computer to cut you a key?? not sure if i have that right, take a look see what you think?? cheers,dean...
C5 X7
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

I don't suppose there is a chance of messing up something in the ECU/Existing key etc by "playing about" with a cheap key?
Just a thought.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

aaaah, you got me worried now, although,If I buy a new fob, with an uncut blade, It must be programmable to the car?? that's what I keep saying and it must be able to be done??
C5 X7
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Just playing devils advocate Deano. Sorry mate but I went through all this, albeit with my Saab, and in the end I paid £120 ish for a key from Saab, already cut to the car chassis/ECU details and had it programmed at Saab Inverness. A 200 mile round trip was involved but for peace of mind and full guarantee I thought it was worth it.
I had to wait nearly two months for the key as Saab was in the brown stuff by then but I knew it wouldn't damage anything in my car.
I'm not saying anything WILL go wrong, just that you should consider the possibility.
The Saab key was £80 and the £60 was to mate the new and the old key to the car. (Maximum amount of working keys was three apparently)
Rick.

Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

deano1970 wrote:cheers ben, I look forward to hearing if it works......but if a hard key can be paired using a lexia, then surely a fob can also be paired also? I might just chance buying a cheap one off e bay,least I haven't spent a fortune then if it doesn't work...as for http://www.gallalock.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, did you notice that at the bottom of the page of the C5 keys, they appear to offer a cutting service as well for £15.00?? looks like if you supply a vin, they can use a computer to cut you a key?? not sure if i have that right, take a look see what you think?? cheers,dean...
Not sure that's the cutting service, it sounds like the mechanical key code retrieval.
qprdude wrote:I don't suppose there is a chance of messing up something in the ECU/Existing key etc by "playing about" with a cheap key?
Just a thought.
A chance? possibly, my main concern (and possibly the saviour in this situation) is it seems like when pairing the keys to the car, the ECU is a wipe and then pair all keys situation. The transponder isn't going to stop lexia access, just prevent the car from starting. From what I can tell they use the same transponder chips as the actual keys, so whilst the key is cheap, the actual part that talks to the car, should be exactly the same as any of the other keys used.

Was your Saab issue due to a cheap key? Damn Swedes eh? :)
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

There wasn't an issue with the Saab key Ben, apart from the fact that the stupid owner (me) lost one of the keys I got when I bought the car. The new key came from Trollhattan as Saab UK had no keys available. It was cut perfectly in Sweden, and mated at my nearest Saab dealer. I thought £120 was a very fair price.
My local Saab agent went into administration just after I ordered the key so I had to re order from the next nearest agent. I thought the service was pretty good considering all the troubles that were going on at the time, and the fact that the new Saab UK service and parts wasn't up and running at the time.
Rick.

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Chaps.. trying to make my way through this post..

I have a 2002 C5 Hdi110 with 2 keys.. one is a service key, one is another solid key, an aftermarket one.. I would love to change the locks and barrel and use 2 secondhand keys with remote locking etc..
My car has an aftermarket alarm.. Does any of the cars mentioned in this thread have alarms like mine?

My main concern is a can or worms with regard to the alarm/immobiliser system and how / if they interact.. I dont want to end up in a situation with an alarm I can no longer turn off (not so worried if it doesnt enable in the first place really)

anyway.. I may proceed with the lock change and an attempt to recode two keys, quite soon.. Will let people know how it goes
John
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

good luck with that john and I would be interested to hear how you get on with that. I just want to know that I can buy a fob,from a website that sells them, and get it programmed to my car for locking/unlocking purposes, My feeling is that if the site sells them,and told me they can send me to someone who does it, (if i lived near muswell hill) then it must be able to be done,so I am going to go ahead and get one, just don't know whether to go for a second hand one off e bay or get one from the website?? Ben, has your key arrived yet from carkey help yet?? just wondering how you are getting on with it? cheers,dean.............
C5 X7
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Nope not arrived yet, I would be surprised if the postie got it here before Friday, going by previous things I've had sent from the uk to here.
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

ha ha, oh yes sorry ben, I did notice before,but only just realised from your comment that you are waiting for it in sweden....well, keep us informed will you on it? As I say, some very good reviews on the site itself, very clever...........hope it works.......,dean
C5 X7
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Yup, of course :)