Xantia rev counter over reading !

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Twickersdude

Xantia rev counter over reading !

Post by Twickersdude »

Hello,

I wonder if anyone has any ideas about this problem ! My 1999 2.0 HDi Xantia has recently started over reading on the rev counter by 1000rpm.

It all started when the instruments decided to flip over when strting despite having a new battery. The rev counter now sits at 0 against the needle when the ignition is off but as soon as I turn on the ignition it sets itself at the 1000rpm position and ticks over indicating 2100rpm....

Suggestions please !!!!

Thanks.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Xantia rev counter over reading !

Post by Peter.N. »

Possibly a poor connection somewhere which is arcing and generating a spurious signal.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia rev counter over reading !

Post by CitroJim »

I've seen this once before on an S2 Xantia and was replaced by replacing the instrument pod. Rather a sledgehammer approach.

S2 Xantia instruments are all electronic and connect to the printed circuit board containing their 'works' via spring 'fingers'. These are notorious for making bad connections and affecting how the gauges read.

The good news is that with a bit of care the instrument pod will come apart - just watch the ribbon cable going to the LCD mileage counter - and that will enable the fingers and their respective pads to be cleaned.

Here's some pictures:

Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...