XM central locking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

franciscolunn
My Cars:

XM central locking

Post by franciscolunn »

Can't get my central locking to work now by key or remote,i took fuse out to check if all fuses were ok for maintenance and altho fuses are all ok cetral locking don't work now, it did before, can only lock passenger side by key...help anybody please...thanks in advance.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Hi Frank,
Can you give us some more clues? like what happens you push down the door lock button when sitting inside the car (both driver and passanger doors). Have you done anything that might have been connected with the fault arising? You haven't been fiddling with the child locks on the back doors have you?
//NiSk
franciscolunn
My Cars:

Post by franciscolunn »

NISK,no havn't touched child locks what i was doing was trying to find a duff fuse which i thought i had but they were all fine i pulled the fuse 34 and the alarm set off so i silenced it from under the bonnet and reset the alarm as per handbook but then no central locking,you can lock passenger door with key but have to lean in first to push door lock buttons down even remote doesnt work now and it did before i pulled fuse,battery in plip control is also fine,i'm puzzled.... oh also i had to drop rear seats as boot is locked and push the fuel cap lever as i couldnt get the flap open for fuel.
thanks
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Each of the locking mechanisms (including the fuel filler flap) has end position switches. If these don't all agree with the logical status of the locking system, it won't work properly. Try setting all the locks in the car to unlocked (with locking buttons and by pushing the fuel flap to unlocked) and see if you get any response with the blipper or key in the door lock.
If this dosn't help, it looks like you've lost power somewhere. I'm not sure how the alarm affects the door locks which year is your XM?
//NiSk
franciscolunn
My Cars:

Post by franciscolunn »

NISK,car is 1995,i'll give it another go with your instructions and report back,cheers anyway for your advice.
franciscolunn
My Cars:

Post by franciscolunn »

nisk,tried what you said..no joy,as a matter of fact i took it to a garage yesterday who knows about citroens and as i could see ££££ signs starting to flash in his eyeballs he did mention getting my other plip control to programme something or other but i've only got 1 control, anyway i reversed quick so i could take my time before i have to take it in.again thanks for your advice i'm sure i'll get it sorted.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

As all th system is affected I wonder if your problem is the control unit or near it. There have been a number of postings concerning Xantia systems which seem to be very prone to water seeping in to the inside of the car.
I have bo idea where the controller is on an XM but on BX and Xantias I think it is in the centre consol. A guess? - find it and check the earth first then the power supply. You may find if you need it that universal fit after market components fit easily.
Also have a good search on this site for the previous postings.
Jeremy
franciscolunn
My Cars:

Post by franciscolunn »

thanks jeremy, i did start looking ad hoc on site for previous postings so i'll have to be systematic and go thro page by page,have been spraying under bonnet with loads of WD40 recently but i don't suppose that would do it.
franciscolunn
My Cars:

Post by franciscolunn »

Still having probs with my central locking,took it to a cit garage(independant)and cost me £50 just for him to look at it, seems he managed to get all mixed up himself as he said it was cured and it isn't,can someone tell me where the control unit is located for the remote inside the car,it's a series 2 XM and it's driving me crackers,don't mind spending and getting a result but......
noz
My Cars:

Post by noz »

Francis,
The receiver for the Plip is located under the glove box. To access it, remove all the screws around the perimeter with the glove box door open. Disconnect the cables to the switch/light and lift the whol;e box clear. The receiver is mounted on the crossmember on a bracket.
Cheers
norrie