Econoscope

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Northern_Mike

Econoscope

Post by Northern_Mike »

Does anyone know where I can get the econoscope gubbins from a GS(A) from?.....

Cheers...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Econoscope

Post by CitroJim »

The what?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I think it's a warning light tripped by low manifold vacuum, indicating you're not driving optimally for fuel usage.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The right pod has the warning light switch, the fog light switches (if equipped) and something called an econoscope which flashes a light on the dashboard when the engine uses a lot of fuel, a light that with a four-speed comes on fairly often on the freeway.
From This article.

Good God!

1 Windscreen washer
2 Windscreen wiper
3 Horn
4 Direction indicators
5 Dipped beam tell-tale
6 Side & tail lamps
7 Main beam headlamps
8 Headlamp flasher & main/dipper beam switches

Or
9 Front fog lamps
10 Hazard warning
11 Econoscope on/off switch
12 Rear foglamps
13 Rear screen wash/wipe
14 Rear screen demister
15 Rear screen intermittent wipe
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

There's also this:

From here (Jalopnik).
When scavenging the local self-service junkyard for parts to put on our 24 Hours of LeMons car, I spotted this '84 Peugeot 505. Because you always see entertainingly weird stuff in French cars, I took a look inside this one... and, sure enough, there it was: the Econoscope! At first I figured it was just a clever name for the tachometer, but then I saw the three lights below the "Econoscope" lettering. I assume the Econoscope is just a vacuum sensor that indicates low vacuum or high vacuum, but it can't be so simple; this is a French car, after all!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Wow!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

which bits did you need im sure i can find some of the vacuum device's that have a small bore vac hose going to them from the induction on the GS/A's,

i might even be able to find the small panel of three lamps if i did in my shed quite deep
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Ah so thats what they called that indicator on the GSA... I remember it on my mums one. :) I vaguely recall seeing the same basic idea (vacuum light or guage) on a few other brand cars of the era too... wonder why it fell out of favour. Too much information for the driver ? Not accurate ? Pressure from oil companies ? :lol: (only kidding on that last one)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
citronut
My Cars:

Re:

Post by citronut »

addo wrote:I think it's a warning light tripped by low manifold vacuum, indicating you're not driving optimally for fuel usage.
it is a bank of three different coloured lamps/LED's which light depending on how many rev's you have up, it has a vacuum device connected to the induction via a small bore hose,
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Mandrake wrote:Ah so thats what they called that indicator on the GSA... I remember it on my mums one. :) I vaguely recall seeing the same basic idea (vacuum light or guage) on a few other brand cars of the era too... wonder why it fell out of favour. Too much information for the driver ? Not accurate ? Pressure from oil companies ? :lol: (only kidding on that last one)
I've seen them on a few SAABs
Bannedbiker
My Cars: 2003 Peugeot 307 1.6S
1997 Eunos Roadster

Post by Bannedbiker »

That brings back memories!!

I had a 1984 Talbot Horizon 1.5GL that had this fitted. IIRC there were about 5 or 6 leds round the edge of the speedometer.

It's a shame they never fitted them on later cars as it definitely had the desired effect in making you back off the throttle as it lit up like a Christmas tree if you floored it :) .

Martin.
2003 Peugeot 307, 1.6 petrol.
Previously owned 1999 Citroen Xantia 1.9 td and a 1997 Citroen ZX 1.9
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

VW offered a package across a range of models called Formel E. This was essentially a small engine, very long gearing, the option of using a stop/start system where the engine would stop when stationary and the starter motor was engaged by depressing the clutch pedal to move off, and a vacuum guage with a light which came on at the best time to change up called an econometer.
As a salesman at the time, I found it best not to mention the stop start system before money had changed hands. I felt it necessary to explain it fully to the customers on delivery in case they switched it on inadvertently and most people hated it and refused to use it.
I believe something similar has recently been introduced to bring down the urban fuel consumption figures by some manufacturers and no doubt is described as a technological breakthrough.
Kind regards
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

citronut wrote:which bits did you need im sure i can find some of the vacuum device's that have a small bore vac hose going to them from the induction on the GS/A's,

i might even be able to find the small panel of three lamps if i did in my shed quite deep
The whole lot if you have it Malcolm, that would be brilliant! It's for the Sidewinder, which is now road legal, if unfinished. Binned off the standard 2cv dash and made a wooden one out of an old guitar, using a classic Mini speedometer - surprisingly it doesn't need calibration and it's running ok apart from a timing issue..