Useful day out

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Useful day out

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Gracie and I had (as the title says) a useful day out in the Newport Pagnell area, where we both got to meet CitroJim in person. Apart from getting to meet up, there were 2 main reasons we needed help. Both reluctor rings needed replacing (I initially thought that just the OSF was faulty, but I did buy 2 as I felt that if 1 had failed, the other wasn't far behind), and, due to the side airbag light was on, I felt a lexia session was needed to find out why (and also to learn, as I do intend to get a Lexia type unit soon).

Once we started work, we found that the hub nuts were VERY tight (needing the gearbox to help hold the shaft still), as were the ball joints. Jim felt it was likely that this meant they had not been removed before. He also found the NSF ring was loose (but not as loose as the OSF ring). Once we got the shafts off the hubs, Jim found a bit of rope to hold the NSF shaft up to stop it dropping out of the 'box. We then cleaned up the CV joints ready to fit the new rings;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-XANTI ... 27c0132920" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

which we did (after they had been cooked for some time). The NSF didn't want to go on at first, so we cleaned up the CV joint some more. Unfortunately the NSF shaft tried to escape from the 'box, which allowed some oil to drop onto Jims' driveway (sorry about that, Jim :oops: ). The rings then fitted on with a little persuasion from a small hammer and punch. We then returned the shafts and hubs to their working positions.

During the tightening stage Jim found that the rings didn't line up properly on the sensors. Once the hub nuts were fully tightened the rings were closer to lining up, but there still was an overlap. However, during the Lexia session (ELIT unit) the ABS was able to report rotation on both wheels when I turned them (Jim monitoring the ELIT). We also found that the NSF side airbag ECU is not responding to queries (which is why the warning light is on. I've got to investigate that unit). There was another fault, which Jim cleared.

Once we had finished cleaning up (and I had made more fuss over Fluffball, I think I have a fan there!) I headed for home. Once I got onto a section of motorway which wasn't monitored, I opened Gracie up, pushing her to a nice round multiple of 10MPH (as per Sat Nav). The ABS was quite happy with this, and did not complain (so, Jim, that slight overlap doesn't seem to be a problem). All in all, an enjoyable and useful day out. Thanks, CitroJim! =D> =D>
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 13 Jan 2013, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Useful day out

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent James, pleased all is OK and the slight mis-alignment of the new rings is not a problem.

Those hub nuts were well tight but my giant persuader did the trick...

It was very good indeed to see you today and some very enjoyable therapy was carried out :-D I'm sorry I was a bit late arriving home from work today to find you and Fluffball the cat sitting on my doorstep patiently waiting :lol: Wish I'd got a photo of that...

You definitely have a fan in Fluffball!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Part 2;

I was up at CitroJims' again today, and this time I was able to provide some help (as well as getting a couple of problems corrected). When I arrived, Jim was getting ready to adjust the height corrector on his XM V6. We got her up onto the ramps, and then he had a fun (yeah, right) time getting the height sorted. That is something I am glad I didn't have to do, based on where the corrector is fitted. He got there though.

Then it was Gracies' turn. Getting her up on the ramps was interesting, as I was being TOO careful (well, I once saw somebody go up ramps a bit too quickly, and fall off the other end!), but we got there eventually. I then had to adjust Gracies' height corrector. Fortunately Citroen had (by this time) learned to make them accessible. We got it done, and Gracie is now riding correctly.

Then the other members of Team WFA turned up to have a deko at the RX-8 engine. I was startled by how small it was. A keg of beer would be bigger and (after what was found), probably more welcome. After warming up the crank shaft bolt a tad, and taking it off, they were able to split it apart. I was startled (AGAIN) by how quickly it came apart, but as it was so small and light I shouldn't have been. Unfortunately some critical areas had been gouged, so the oil seals would not be able to do their job properly, and they felt the engine would only last a few seconds before it failed again. Mind you, it was a useful learning experience (for myself if nobody else).

Next Jim and I (well, Jim mainly) loosened off the alignment bolts on the rear discs (somebody (not me) had threadlocked them! I may be a prat, but even I am not THAT stupid!). A dab of copper slip grease was applied before re-fitting them. All being well I should be able to replace the discs in the near future (depending on the weather), and I have replacement alignment bolts.

After all the hard work Jim and I thought it would be useful to see how the suspension felt on both his XM and on Gracie. I have been in an XM before, but it was some time ago. After a quick drive around Jim pronounced it good. We then went off in Gracie, and he and I came to a similar conclusion on her suspension.

Before I headed for home I re-applied some Rain-X, which was just as well, as on the way home it started to chuck it down. It looks like I judged it right.

At various points I made a fuss of Fluffball. We found out she doesn't like seafood sticks (well some cats like them, others don't). It got to the point when she started to follow me around. I seem to get on well with animals.

All in all, a good day out.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

You can't beat a bit of car spannering to make a good day :)
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It was good to see you today James and indeed it was an excellent day :-D Very enjoyable.

Fluffball misses you :)

I do concede the height is easier to adjust on a Xantia than it is on an XM :lol:

There's more about our RX-8 adventures in my blog but here's a picture of the engine stripped..

That took Team WFA barely 20 minutes to strip it entirely...

It is a mess and basically no more than a pile of scrap.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

You can't beat a visit to the wonderfully citrojim.. One of the nicest and knowledge and kindest persons I have met in recent years

I've a Lot of time for our citrojim! Very little beats him...
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

Never mind pictures of a stripped engine, where's the pictures of Fluffball? :lol:
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

The perfect solution for keeping oil (or LHM) and the drive separate: Beg a big cardboard box (many small shops will happily give them away as the disposal of "trade waste" costs serious money), flatten it and place under car where oil might drip (or trickle). Added benefits are that cardboard also doesn't contain sharp bits of grit and is warmer to kneel, sit or lie on than asphalt or concrete. :)
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

SaabC5 wrote:Never mind pictures of a stripped engine
Actually, the engine picture intrigued me. I assume it's what I'd call a Wankel engine? Heard of them in the past, but never seen even a picture of one, until now.

And yes, I second SaabC5's request for a piccie of Fluffball :)
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

Xantidote wrote:
SaabC5 wrote:Never mind pictures of a stripped engine
Actually, the engine picture intrigued me. I assume it's what I'd call a Wankel engine? Heard of them in the past, but never seen even a picture of one, until now.
Yup the good ol Mazda rotary/wankel engine :)

Request for pussy pics thirded :)
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

citroenxm wrote: I've a Lot of time for our citrojim! Very little beats him...
It's not me, it's very much a Team WFA effort :-D True, I don't let very much beat me but then again nothing beats Team WFA :-D

Martin, yes, it's a Wankel. A fascinating engine and very, very simple in concept. Think of a two-stroke and you're not far off..

If you want, I'll snap some more pictures when we reassemble the engine and pop them up...

Had they been more of a success (Wankels do have some fundamental issues with emission and fukle and oil consumption and not least long life) it's likely all Citroens would be powered by them. They tried with the GS Birotor but sadly that nearly broke Citroen and indeed did break NSU with their lovely but troublesome Wankel engined Ro80.

OK, I'll get some pussy pictures up in this thread as soon as I can...
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well, today Gracie and I met DickieG. He has re-gassed her aircon, and that was more difficult than it should have been. There were several possibilities as to amount of coolant, and we ended up with 825g. I intend to stick a label on the slam panel for future reference. No apparent signs of a leak, but the amount of coolant removed was minimal (140g). The drive home was nice and comfortable (outside temperature 33C, inside a lot lower!).

Drove her later (after the sun had been on her for a while) and the outside temperature was 41C, and, after a short while, the inside temperature was a lot lower than that. Thanks, DickieG!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

As James mentioned working out the correct charge of gas for a Xantia HDi was a bit of a faff to say the least as so many different figures are quoted depending upon what chart you read. We started with 975gms but the system pressure went too high too quickly so I drained the system again, tried a lower charge of 875gms but still wasn't happy so I drained it for a third time and settled on 825gms as the fans were able to control the pressure in the system quite well on what was a rather hot day.

Quite why Citroen in their infinite wisdom can't be bothered with the expense of fitting a sticker to the car stating what the charge should be (unlike just about every other manufacturer) is beyond me :roll:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

On my new Xantia V6 the air con works extremely well (read: very cold on the 28 degree days this week) but the fans often switch to high speed when its in use and the engine bay is hot. Could this be a sign that the air con is actually over charged ? When the fans are on high the air con is still working.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

When Richard was testing Gracies' aircon we had the equipment still hooked up. When there was 825g of coolant in the system we could see that when the fans went to high speed the pressure in the system reduced by about 3 bar. Then the fans would drop to low speed. Richard did this by running the engine at a high RPM to increase the pressure.

On Richards' charts the V6 has a low charge level (725g) according to this PDF file;

http://www.naasltd.com/Resources/FileBr ... 0chart.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 26 Jul 2014, 22:48, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+