C5 2.0hdi, no gusto at all??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deano1970
My Cars: citroen C5 estate 58 plate.........2.0 hdi

C5 2.0hdi, no gusto at all??

Post by deano1970 »

hi,
I have an 03 plate C5 2.0 hdi 110........ It is really reliable and it's a lovley car, but it has no guts.... foot needs to be permanently to the floor to get it to go anywhere and from a standing start going up a hill it's embarrassing.......I replaced the maf with an oem one and it jumps a bit on tickover but the car starts first time,every time and we used it last year for two weeks holiday down south covering well over a thousand miles with no problems at all, but the performance seems to be steadily getting worse....the car goes great once you get it going, it's just getting it there.....I don't want to put it in the garage without knowing what is wrong with it as they could be taking all sorts to bits and it could cost me a fortune... anyone else had this problem and have any advice?? I have heard something about an egr valve maybe being the problem but I have very limited experience under the bonnet and I looked for a price for one,and even on e bay, it was £125.00?? any advice would be much appreciated......all the best,dean........
C5 X7
oneday
My Cars:

Re: C5 2.0hdi, no gusto at all??

Post by oneday »

what you need to start with is a lexia session. have a look in the supersticks to see if anyone is near you. have you removed the slack from the throttle cable, is your aftercooler leaking, have you run a good quality fuel system cleaner through it. just a few things to start with
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Forget the EGR Deano it's unlikely to be the cause, as you've replaced the MAF I'd suggest your next place to look is at the bits that control the servo and the first is the thin rubber vacuum pipes along the bulkhead under the plastic cover at the back left of the engine compartment and down to the turbo actuator, a split or even a pin hole in one of those will cause loss of vacuum and no turbo effect. You'll need to examine them very closely, quite difficult to find the holes.

If all there is in good order some further checks will be needed to see if the electrovalves in that vacuum circuit are working, there are three all the same and swapping them from place to place in he circuit can indicate if there's a faulty one.

I think I posted some photos before of where the faukt was on mine if you search back.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

Air flow meter, vacuum pipe (or any air pipe for that matter), or even something as stupid as a blocked exhaust.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Stretched throttle cable is a possibility.
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

hi dean pm sent
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

Thanks everyone for the input..........derek I have sent you a pm,cheers.......
C5 X7
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

Thanks to everybody for the post, but special thanks to oneday who came to me and ran the lexia over my car...pleased to say it all seems fine, and then he, as suggested by him and others, removed the slack from my throttle cable,and boy oh boy, it's like a totally new car......Thanks again derek, your help is much appreciated and I now have a car I am happy to drive and look forward to driving........cheers.......... :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
C5 X7
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Glad to hear it, what tools did you need to do it Oneday? I can't do this on my C5 outside my house yet, so will have to take some tools to a convenient place..
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

dean it was a pleasure to help you out youl use some fuel and tyres now lol nice cup of tea aswell juat pm if you need anything else.

mike
remove air filter box it only clips in place once it is out you can see the tps pull clip from the cable pull cable to remove slack replace clip refit air filter box only tools required crosshead screwdriver to remove airfilter cover. about 10 mins in total easily done at the side of the road thats where deans was.
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Brilliant thanks Oneday, I might nip round the corner and have a do at it.. Thankfully my troublesome neighbours are moving out in a month and things can get back to normal!
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

its an easy job mike glad to be of help
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Thanks again, I went and had a look, removed the airbox and pipe. The TPS is a bit hidden back there under the fusebox, but I'm quite good at fiddly out-of-sight stuff. My phone fitted in the pipework on the side of the engine nicely to make a torch... however, it appears my cable is stretched too far. If I pull the rubber notched part out so the cable is tight, it's actually too far out - right out of hole in the bracket, to put the clip in. Even on the last rung, it's still a bit loose. New cable time? Hmmm....
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

ive done a few of these for people now including mine all of them pull out beyond the ajuster part but all have been right about 2 or 3 positions from the end normaly gets the throttle peddle level with the clutch. you must be the unlucky one mike. i have seen new cables on ebay for about 14 quid so not to bad on price
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
imperial21
My Cars:

Post by imperial21 »

My c5 has a similar problem and i have just changed it for a new genuine one, and i am now looking at doing the accelerator cable but out of interest should the accelerator pedal be the same height as the the other pedals as i can push it up a lot, I wouls say it has about 1 inch of movement if that.
1999 Xantia exclusive 110BHP !! Now RIP !!
2002 C5 estate 110 hdi, Happily sold on !!!