Noisy Vacuum Pump???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

terryinfrance
My Cars:

Noisy Vacuum Pump???

Post by terryinfrance »

To all my helpers and any new readers here is a prob.
My report on noisy engine in my 1.9 diesel ZX brought a great response and many useful suggestions.
I have since removed the head to reveal,well,not a lot to be honest.Everything looks sound and good.
O.K I had little valve clearance on the inlets and that has caused some speculation.
The exhausts were all to spec.
Valve seats look clean and combustion appears even throughout all four.
Bore wear appears minimal with little or no ridging at bore tops.
Original honing still visible on bores.
However on turning cam a distinct rattle comes from the Vacuum pump,this rides off the cam end and is driven by a slot on the cam with two pegs in the pump locating therin.
The pump peg seems to have a floating assembly to allow for movement and slides approx one eigth inch each way.
Has anyone experienced noisy pump to the extent it has made them suspect cam/other engine wear???
This thread is also continued on my original posting under Hydraulic tappets.page 2 today.
Terry
Jonesy
My Cars:

Post by Jonesy »

Terry,
Have not personally experienced a vacuum pump making this much racket as you describe.
Seems like it was a bit of a waste of time taking the head off if its only the vacuum pump, I suppose the only consolation is that the motor seems in good condition.
Sorry I couldn't of suggested vac. pump!
terryinfrance
My Cars:

Post by terryinfrance »

No worries Jonesy,it is not 100 per cent its the cause of the noise and I will have to delay the verdict until I get the head re-shimmed on the inlets{my only other concern}
Will re-shim to 6thou. bolt it back together and hopefully throw away my ear mufflers.
If still noisy guess will remove pump and re start engine and see if that makes any difference.[with plenty of oil about]
The thing that is baffling me and opinions welcome ,is.
If I have a couple of inlets that have barely any clearance will the valves on seating set up a sort of jack hammer effect as they try to seat half on the seat and half back on the cam without the usual 6 thou buffer.
Terry{closer but not there yet!}