ZX Avantage Sidelights (Side & Rear Lights) Don't Come On

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gilespepperell

ZX Avantage Sidelights (Side & Rear Lights) Don't Come On

Post by gilespepperell »

Hi,

Apols. for lengthy first post.

Vehicle is a J Reg ZX Avantage 1.4 petrol 5 door hatchback. I think this is too early to be a dim dip model, can't see relevant gubbins described elsewhere.

Done over 200k.

Simply put the sidelights and dash sidelight bulb don't come on any more on first setting. Problem is more complicated than this though so please read on.

I hope replacing indicator stalk will fix this but don't know if there is a relay or other lights box of tricks secreted somewhere. (Have removed and plugged back in all relays whilst car is running and lights on but no joy.)

Additionally lights warning tingling doesn't come on now (when ignition off and door is opened) except in certain circumstances.

Problem has been intermittent over 2 years or so always remedying itself for long periods of proper use - so not a fuse - but now seems permanent.

I think it is just a worn contact in the lights, indicator, horn stalk on left hand side of steering wheel.

So sidelights, rear lights and green sidelight dash light don't illuminate on first click / setting.

All correct lights and dash lights come on on main dipped headlight setting including green sidelight dash light.

Clicking on to or flashing full beam (pull stalk towards driver) turns out green dash sidelight light and rear lights (so presumably sidelights too, too bright to see!) and blue full beam dash light comes on.

Pull stalk towards driver again and dipped beam returns as do rear lights sidelights and dash sidelight green light.

Lights warning tingling now only comes on when ignition off, keys out, which also turns off dash sidelight light but leaves on dipped beam dash light and I then pull indicator stalk towards me so that all 3 dash lights come on: green sidelights and dipped beam and blue full beam, i.e. a circuit is completed.

I really hope someone will say: 'replace the indicator stalk' because they know that that would fix this! Can't afford massive remedial or exploratory work, car's not worth it and is due for MOT.

I only want to make sure before doing this as buying a part for trial and error fixing may be a waste too and as a previous mechanic botched a job so that the steering column cover is now glued together so that will need to be replaced too I am just being a bit cautious.

Cheers!

Giles

PS I love this ZX even though it falls apart around the engine. I've also had a 2CV and my Dad had a CX when I was a kid.
]I love my red J Reg ZX Avantage 1.4 petrol 5 door hatchback though it is falling apart around the engine; I've also had a 2CV (Charleston Black & Burgundy I'm afraid) and my Dad had a CX (white Pallas 2200 IIRC) when I was a kid.

http://www.abd.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilespepperell

Re: ZX Avantage Sidelights (Side & Rear Lights) Don't Come O

Post by gilespepperell »

I've discovered that the courtesy light needs to be energised (door open) for the lights on alarm tingling to work when ignition off and key removed (but that is a side issue).
]I love my red J Reg ZX Avantage 1.4 petrol 5 door hatchback though it is falling apart around the engine; I've also had a 2CV (Charleston Black & Burgundy I'm afraid) and my Dad had a CX (white Pallas 2200 IIRC) when I was a kid.

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Welcome.

Your problem sounds more like a missing earth feed at a first read of it. Possibly one behind the instrument panel itself. If possible without too much work it would be worth taking say the footwell trims or the instrument panel out to look for earth leads that are not, well earthed.

The 'ights' warning buzzer requires obviously the buzzer and the door pin switch to function. On some cars (not sure on the ZX) it relies on the actuator in the door.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
gilespepperell

Post by gilespepperell »

Thanks Andy.

I bit the bullet and bought a breaking indicator stalk to replace the one installed.

If that doesn't fix it when it arrives I will have to do as you suggest.

Thanks for taking the time to give me your thoughts.

Giles

gilespepperell

Post by gilespepperell »

Problem remedied with a new lights, indicator, horn stalk so it was a worn internal contact as I suspected.

Fitted without the rigmarole of removing the steering wheel; removing top part of steering column cover / shroud and carefully pulling down left hand side of bottom of cover whilst still attached to base of steering column with fifth screw will do it.

This allows you to remove both screws and with some attention slide out stalk having removed both electrics plugs on back. Both of which have clips that need to be released before pulling out and one of the push in clips can only be accessed once the other plug has been removed first.