Xantia abs light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Xantia abs light

Post by Mandrake »

Thanks Richard, it hasn't given any signs of trouble yet touch wood, but its one of those things that you eyeball while doing other work and think "THAT is going to give trouble someday soon"...maybe its a month away, maybe a year away. Who knows. :lol: I'll keep an eye on it, but it's not the sort of job I'm going to tackle until it does misbehave. :twisted:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: The only problem is I will have to borrow a heavy torque wrench, as Haynes BoL says 320NM for the hub nut.
No need for a torque wench James...

Just do the hub nuts up FT* and you'll be fine :wink: I normally tighten them using a 3 foot breaker bar and never had a problem.

* 'effin' tight :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KennyW
Donor 2024
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Simon,

I got my CV joint from this company

http://www.jandrcvjoints.co.uk/citroen- ... -3207.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obviously you get the correct one for your V6.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
carpysmith
My Cars:

Post by carpysmith »

Hi all!
Many thanks for the replies, an interesting side track on cooker temperatures thrown in as well lol!!!
Regards
Steve (aka carpysmith)
1999 Xantia 2.0hdi sx (estate)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

carpysmith wrote:an interesting side track on cooker temperatures thrown in as well lol!!!
Sorry Steve but you know how threads on here can drift around a bit :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

You can set the hub nut torque fairly reliably without a torque wrench. First, weigh yourself :-D

Now, If you work in imperial units....
convert your weight in stones to pounds. Divide the required torque in lbf ft by your weight (eg I am 220 lbs, so for the Xantia that's just over 1 based on a torque of 236 lbf ft) this is the distance in feet you need to apply your weight to the breaker bar to get the required torque - provided the bar is horizontal. Nip the nut up, then arrange it so the breaker bar is horizontal. Now stand (carefully!) with all your weight on the breaker bar at the appropriate length, and you will apply the correct torque. If the nut rotates more than a few degrees, then re-set it horizontal and repeat until you get no movement when standing on the bar. Don't jump up and down, just apply your weight steadily.

If you work in metric, then the length in metres is arrived at by multiplying your weight in kg by 10, then dividing the torque by the this number, which gives you the length in meters (in my case, I'm 100 kg, so 320Nm / 1000 N = 0.32m - near enough a foot as above :lol: )
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's very good Richard :-D Just about excellent =D>

At least you know if you stand on a bar it's tight enough - unless you're a bit on the light side like me and then it isn't :roll:
Jim

Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Golly,

First it's cooker temperatures

Then "speak your own weight"

What are we cooking up next :lol: :lol:
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Xantidote wrote: What are we cooking up next :lol: :lol:
How to make a new ABS sensor from a washing up liquid bottle, some tinsel and a toilet roll tube...
Jim

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

What, no duct tape?

You just need a longer bar Jim.... =D>
Richard W
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Tried yesterday to deal with Gracie's OSF reluctor ring. Tried loostening the hub nut, and the only thing that moved was the blood pressure to my head (followed by a headache!). I think I will have to ask for help on this one, as I don't have a big enough bar to start the hub nuts moving. I have seen the trick about getting the car to help, but with my luck something would break.

I want to replace both reluctor rings if possible. The OSF is cracked and freely moving (causing the ABS to have fits over 70), and although the NSF feels secure and looks sound, I wonder how long it is before it lets go (both drive shafts look original). Nip a problem in the bud if possible. I have a pair of rings.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I find these to be just the job.
Following a puncture outside a fire station, I was unable to shift the nuts, bent two dedicated spanners trying.
A fire engine came in and a couple of minutes later a gang of firemen came over to help.
One of them, a huge lad, turned purple and the sweat was pouring of him, until he snapped a third spanner with a 4' scaffold pole on it.
One of them went and swiped one of these from a mate's car - brand new, and the huts came of with relative ease.

Went and bought one for myself (£2.50 at Wilkinsons, but that was 9 years ago now) then one for each of the kids - waste of money as they have all lost theirs and use mine instead.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hello myglaren,

I have one of these, and they are very good. I tried to move the hub nut using mine, but (as previously mentioned) just moved the blood pressure in my head to 'painful' level.

I got mine from Lidl about 10 years ago. I know where it is, in the boot, near to the Citroen one.

James
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 14 Jan 2013, 10:18, edited 2 times in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

James, the hub nuts can be tight and last year I think it was Xac and I broke two Halfrauds breaker bars. They lived up to their name :roll:

The only thing that will do the job is a seriously big breaker. I have a five foot one now..

An alternative is to go to a friendly garage and ask the to loosen them with a seriously meaty rattle gun...
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Now I KNOW I am going to need help on this one. As I haven't space to store a breaker bar that big, and I don't know the garages in the Reading area well, I hope that the forum will be able to advise.

James
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+