Wheel nut key damaged

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oneday
My Cars:

Re: Wheel nut key damaged

Post by oneday »

if you lived around here you would have lost your car 5 years ago and they would be queing up for the wheels now. i went to work a couple of months ago and every drain cover was missing for about 2 miles even the ones in the middle of the roads.
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

That's disgraceful.
spako

Post by spako »

horsedentist wrote:where are you based I have a brand new key that might undo it as there is no wear on it yet.
I'm based in Barnsley but I don't think any key would match the locking nut.
2011 Renault Megane Sport Tourer 1.5 dCi 110 Expression+ Silver
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

all keys are made different so no other key will fit.
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
Lenny
My Cars: 1986 2cv Charleston
1986 2cv Special
2010 C5 2.0HDi Exclusive Tourer Auto
1992 VW Corrado VR6
1970 Vw Beetle

Post by Lenny »

If you're really stuck then these chaps will be able to help.
A few years ago they removed one for me in about 2 minutes.

http://www.dynomec.co.uk/

Not a million miles away from you either.
den169
My Cars:

Post by den169 »

Similer ones on my c5 luckily the car came with two locking key nuts,But first time i went to a tyre place they said throw them away alloys are not worth nicking nowadays.I didn't but never tighten them too much,One way of getting them off is to very carefully weld some rod to the bolt in the wheel then weld a nut on the end ,My mechanic son inlaw has just done this last week on a corsa the woman who owned it had been driving it 8 months not knowing the locking key nut was missing.
hirameuser

Post by hirameuser »

This happened to me a couple of months ago. Tried all that has been mentioned in the prior posts. The socket hammed on did not work as the round post is waisted and designed to break which it did. As they are sunken into the wheel no space to weld a rod onto it. Special tyre fitters tool did not work. Drilling didnot work even with colbolt drills and lube. what worked for three of the nuts was getting a welder build up metal on the worn pins. The last one was by now so mullered I had to cut the spokes of the alloy then us an angle grinder to cut through the stud from the side.

One hell of a lot of trouble. I now have standard wheel nuts fitted and am looking for a cheep 14 spoke 15" wheel.

My advice once you have the the studs off throw them away and use standard nuts, if you are in a dodgey area buy some other style of locking nut, they are only about £20.00, my mechanic said this style of locking nut always gives trouble in the end.

Cheers

Phil
spako

Post by spako »

I've tried undoing the nut using socket on top but the center bolt came off as per the photos.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357580887.136527.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357580918.032208.jpg
I've just ordered a screw extractor set and 4 OEM wheel nuts.

Now need to order some left hand drill bits - any recommendation on size?
Last edited by spako on 07 Jan 2013, 22:05, edited 1 time in total.
2011 Renault Megane Sport Tourer 1.5 dCi 110 Expression+ Silver
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

oneday wrote:if you lived around here you would have lost your car 5 years ago and they would be queing up for the wheels now. i went to work a couple of months ago and every drain cover was missing for about 2 miles even the ones in the middle of the roads.
Just taken my car round to my son's place. It has been left unlocked outside here for the past three days.
No locking wheelnuts either.
Tools left in sight as the rear shelf is removed for him to get his bike in. Rear seats folded down.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

myglaren wrote:
oneday wrote:if you lived around here you would have lost your car 5 years ago and they would be queing up for the wheels now. i went to work a couple of months ago and every drain cover was missing for about 2 miles even the ones in the middle of the roads.
Just taken my car round to my son's place. It has been left unlocked outside here for the past three days.
No locking wheelnuts either.
Tools left in sight as the rear shelf is removed for him to get his bike in. Rear seats folded down.
You're tempting fate Steve.

Trust me here guys whilst some area's suffer higher levels of crime than others you shouldn't be surprised to hear that criminals can drive cars so matter how remote you are, sooner or later scumbags will pass by your way :x
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The C5 is the first car I have bothered locking. I generally do lock it overnight but it stands all day at work with the keys in it so I know where they are.
It is protected by the double chevrons :)

Someone wandered in to one of the units a month ago, into an office, swiped the manager's keys from his pocket and knicked his Focus - mid afternoon!

It was my son had left it unlocked when he dropped it here 7am on Friday. He is usually very diligent about locking up and has locked me out of the house several times as I rarely lock the doors if I am not actually at work.

I'm often at my daughter's, in the next street. He comes along, finds the house unlocked and leaves, locking it behind him and locking me out. Shame my daughter hasn't a spare key, really must remedy that one day.