Nightmare trip..xantia is suffering!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jayster
New User

Nightmare trip..xantia is suffering!

Post by jayster »

Hi there here is my first post on a nice forum!! wish it was a nicer one.
Whilst driving home yesterday i accelerated past a car and blew a hole in the exhaust.is that all i hear you say?? nope...I parked up to have a look at the damage,but could not see much..so i drove on came to a t-junction about 30 mins on in my journey and the engine died on me,tried to start it but was not having any of it!
So in the end i had to get a flatbed to come and take it to my local citroen dealer.the thing is i do not want to spend a fortune on a old car 97 model 2.0..
so i am just hoping some has got a clue what this could be? it has been raining a lot not sure that has anything to do with it?? or the hole in the exhaust?? could do with some advice on what things i could do myself to get the old bird started..thanx :)
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Nightmare trip..xantia is suffering!

Post by Mandrake »

Petrol ? Diesel ? Not much info to go on...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
jayster
New User

Post by jayster »

Mandrake wrote:Petrol ? Diesel ? Not much info to go on...
sorry....2.0 petrol automatic.with imobiliser
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Seems unlikely to be related to the hole in the exhaust. The only thing I can think of that could go wrong with the exhaust that might later stop the engine running would be if the hole was very close to the exhaust manifold on the back of the engine, causing hot exhaust gas or even an exhaust flame to melt nearby wiring... but that is very far fetched and I've never heard of it happening. :P

The 2 litre 8 valve petrol engine is a very reliable unit, with the information to hand there's really no way to know what the problem is. If the engine is turning over but won't start and you've checked obvious things like fuel and spark, the quickest and easiest way to find out what's wrong would be to put it on a Lexia, have a look at the Lexia thread and see if there's any forum members nearby with a Lexia that could run a diagnostic for you. Where are you located ?
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive