Xantia Anti-Sink

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BonceChops
My Cars:

Xantia Anti-Sink

Post by BonceChops »

I asked a bit about this in a previous thread but am still not clear. What year did Xantia's have anti-sink fitted and how do you tell if it has? Mine is a 1994. It has a rear centre sphere is this the anti-sink or do they all have them. GSF parts list shows a centre sphere and a rear anti-sink so I am confused.
Jon

Post by Jon »

OK
Only Xantia's with Hydractive(applies to VSX models with the Sports switch inside the car),or Xantia Activa, have a centre rear sphere As your car is SX spec then it won't have a rear centre sphere. What you have there is an anti-sink sphere.They were fitted to all Xantias 1994>. It will have a metal pipe with a 9mm headed nut going into the bottom centre of the sphere.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

>As your car is SX spec then it won't have a rear centre sphere
But just to confuse things, the sphere that is not a 'centre sphere' IS in the centre of the car[}:)]
Have not looked under tha back of a Hydractive car so do not know if the actual 'centre sphere' is in the centre or not....
Confused - you will be!!!
Richard
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

A/S is fitted since beginning of '94. SX level of trim didn't have hydractive, so your rear middle sphere is A/S.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

Thanks folks, That means when I change it, it should stop sinking. Changed accumulator the other day because the brakes were 'funny', felt like the brake pressure was varying when I was braking. When I released the accumulator pressure nothing happened, it must have been totally flat. When I had replaced it tried the same thing and the oil whooshed back into the tank. Feels good now.
Is there anything I should know about changing the anti-sink sphere or does it just unscrew like the others do?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Changing the anti sink sphere was covered recently. A new one won't stop the car sinking if its left standing though. What it will do is stop it dropping when you start the engine after leaving it for a while. Its purpose is to top up the high pressure LHM when the anti sink valve is opened and thus maintain rear brake pressure and height.
Confused?
Learn the whole wonderful story in 'Gabor's text Book' in the links section.
jeremy
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

Thats a very interesting and informative book - Thanks for pointing me to it.
Neil