2 stroke as diesel additive

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

horsedentist

2 stroke as diesel additive

Post by horsedentist »

Has anyone any experience of this and would it be ok in hdi engines?
oneday
My Cars:

Re: 2 stroke as diesel additive

Post by oneday »

as an aim to do what?
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

horsedentist wrote:Has anyone any experience of this and would it be ok in hdi engines?
Why would you want to? I've heard it used as an additive for old-style diesels running on veg oil, but I'm clueless as to why you'd want to put it in an HDi..
horsedentist

Post by horsedentist »

I was looking on an American site and also on a VW site and they were talking about using it at a rate of 300ml per tank of diesel as an additive the claim was that it keeps the injectors clean and helps the pumps to cope with low sulphur diesel. They also claim that it helps combustion and the engine runs quieter and mpg is slightly improved. Just wondered if any one else had heard of this or tried it?

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/sho ... hp?t=31008" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

i use millers its made for the job keeps everything clean boosts power and runs quieter because the engine is clean and probably works out cheaper than 2 stroke

1ml per litre of fuel

had a read through that and it seems to me nobody is useing it on common rail and not good for cat and dpf seems ok in older diesels
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
Sean602
Location: Roslin -yes the one with the chapel in Dan Browns book.
My Cars:

Post by Sean602 »

Yes, why?
seems there is better products to do the job. Stood in a shop the other day and listened to some bloke bang on about putting a £5 of unleaded into every £20 of diesel as it keeps the engine clean etc etc"best emissions of any diesel the tester had EVER seen" :roll: .

My experience of petrol in a diesel engine ( misfuelled a Shogun) was short glow plug life and recovered a tank of petrol diesel (mis fuel from a neighbours picasso) which I used to top up the non turbo non cat non HDi 2.5 VW which needed the leakoff tubes replaced seemingly monthly and the main fuel pipe fixing - seems the methanol ethanol mix in modern unleaded attacks the rubber.
kissing the lash
white van (turbo, computer and built by Citroen, what could possibly go wrong!)
orange 2cv
blue 2cv( been to the Sahara and back)
red Dyane( in bits)
Skoda (thank goodness there is a teutonic vehicle on the drive)
Stainless Siemens fridge freezer
horsedentist

Post by horsedentist »

I think the petrol thing stems from the old days when they used to put petrol in diesel lorries to stop the fuel freezing in the winter not to aid combustion or anything else.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

The easiest way to improve mpg, reduce emissions and generally keep the fuel system and engine clean is to buy good quality diesel (Shell in my case as our local choice is Pace or Shell) instead of cheap 'supermarket' fuel. You'll more than recoup the extra 1p or 2p/L in improved mpg (1% equates to around 1.4p/L).

If you search t'internet, you'll find independent tests that bear out the claims of Shell and other premium fuel brands. There's no need to buy their premium fuel, just the 'standard' diesel or petrol.

For many years, my late father-in-law always bought the cheapest petrol he could find for pottering about - and then wondered why his cars kept suffering poor running and starting problems. He spent far more on unnecessary garage bills than he (thought he) saved on fuel until I persuaded him to buy quality fuel; no more problems despite his motoring becoming more and more local and slower and slower.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
Sean602
Location: Roslin -yes the one with the chapel in Dan Browns book.
My Cars:

Post by Sean602 »

spot on OldGuy, if i put local Sainsbury or Tesco diesel in the old tractor unit that was the VW it would suffer poor starting and increased knock, strangely ASDA diesel came from North of England and was always superior ( during fuel shortages all the supermarkets were out as they were supplied from Grangemouth and ran short) giving clean quiet running and at least an extra few miles per tank. Im still getting used to this HDi Citroen unit so cant comment on it in the new one

the petrol in the diesel guy did have a strong accent and ran a transit tipper with extended cage sides.....not re-enforcing any stereotypes but doubt much of his fuel came to him via a pump.
kissing the lash
white van (turbo, computer and built by Citroen, what could possibly go wrong!)
orange 2cv
blue 2cv( been to the Sahara and back)
red Dyane( in bits)
Skoda (thank goodness there is a teutonic vehicle on the drive)
Stainless Siemens fridge freezer
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Once filled up Cassy at the Tescos on the way to Chichester and really thought there was something wrong with her as the power dropped so much she actually struggled to get up not that steep inclines.
She was like that until I managed to find an Esso garage (couldn't find a Shell) and put a few gallons of their stuff in which helped a bit, but she wasn't back to her normal self until I put veg in the tank.
She only seems to like Veg or Shell diesel (especially v-power).
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
horsedentist

Post by horsedentist »

Sean602 wrote: the petrol in the diesel guy did have a strong accent and ran a transit tipper with extended cage sides.....not re-enforcing any stereotypes but doubt much of his fuel came to him via a pump.
Perhaps it works then when mixed with RED diesel :-D .
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

ive been useing shell for the last 5 tank fulls and i must agree you realy can tell the difference it even smells and looks different
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN