Garage has put wrong oil in suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Lynnzer

Garage has put wrong oil in suspension

Post by Lynnzer »

The headline says it all.
I placed my trust in my local non dealership garage to sort out a leak in my steering - suspension system as Citroen couldn't do the work for a few days.
When I left the car with them I actually left the forecourt then turned around and went back in to tell them that I know the C5 has to have a special type of fluid, and that it is critical.
When I went back to collect the car they hadn't found the leak and the car was on the forecourt in the low position. One of the mechanics was adding oil to the tank and I asked him for an empty bottle so I could buy a couple of extra litres to top up until I could get the Citroen garage to take a look.
So off I went to Halfords 2 days later to buy a couple of extra litres. They took one look at the empty oil bottle and I could see the look of horror on their faces.

They tell me it'll cause almost irreparable damage and will cost a damn fortune to sort out the problems it'll cause.

In the meantime, Citroen have found the leek, will charge the normal astronomical price to mend it, but I discovered the wrong oil problem since then.
So, what's the score here guys?
There's been 3 litres added so far.
Is this a case of a complete flushing of the system or worse?
The car is in pristine condition but has 114000 miles on the clock so the residual value won't be much I doubt. It may be write-off if costs are substantial.
Naturally I'm going to the garage that added the wrong fluid to make a claim for damages but I want to give them a cost based on fact, not on the standard Citroen doom and gloom and profit ratio.
I would like input on the fix, the problem that wrong oil will cause4. Is it going to destroy seals or worse etc.
Off to Florida for a fortnight so the car won't be mended (for the leak) until I get back so would like to be able to give a complete breakdown of remedies and costs to the original garage before i go back to Citroen.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Well, what did they put in? Cat's pee?

How can any damage be estimated if the causative agent is unquantified?
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Garage has put wrong oil in suspension

Post by Mandrake »

If its conventional DOT 4 brake fluid all the seals in the hydraulic system will be ruined, especially if you let the car sit for a few weeks after it has already been pumped around the hydraulic system...the only chance for it to survive is to get it flushed out ASAP and there are still no guarantees that things will be ok. Chances are various components will start leaking if not straight away then a few weeks/months down the road.

If its any thin mineral based oil that has been put in, such as conventional Dexron II ATF (which is commonly used in power steering) then you will be ok - the friction enhancers will wear the hydraulic components more rapidly than normal, but only if you do a few thousand miles or more. If you get it drained out and the system thoroughly flushed it should be just fine.

So as Addo says, the prognosis is highly dependant on WHAT was put in. Until we know that we can't be specific.

Regardless of the amount of damage I would make a claim on the original garage. If they put the wrong stuff in its their fault and they are responsible, even if the only cost is to have the system thoroughly flushed.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

That's a pretty odd tale, if Citroen found the leak and fixed it surely they would have spotted if the wrong fluid was in there and fixed that too.
As for you chances of getting compensated for damage done I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you, courts don't give compen on hearsay they want evidence and showing them an empty bottle won't be enough.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Lynnzer

Post by Lynnzer »

What they put in was Carplus LHM+.
It says on the filler cap it should be Total LDS.
Any problems?
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

LHM+ is the mineral oil used in older Citroens Xantia and earlier. LDS is a synthetic oil used in C5 and later. LHM+ won't hurt the seals in a C5 as far as I know but should still be drained out and replaced as soon as possible, with a second drain and replace maybe a week later being a good idea to deal with the oil that would have been in the piping during the first drain. Annoying, but not a disaster, and I wouldn't expect any long term damage provided it is drained soon.
Simon

1978 CX 2400
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I wouldn't sweat it. A full flush and you should be good.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I'd have it drained and filled with Hydraflush (or whatever it is called) drive for a couple of hundred miles and then have filled with the correct fluid, only way to be sure really.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I wouldn't suggest using Hydraflush - the Hydraflush that is commonly spoken of is a slightly different formulation of LHM+ designed to flush LHM based systems, so you would be "flushing" with almost the same wrong stuff that you were trying to get rid of, further contaminating the system. :lol: Unless there is an LDS version of Hydraflush, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere before...

Besides, the flushing aspect of Hydraflush is mainly extra detergents etc to lift muck out of the systems into suspension in the oil so they can be drained. It wouldn't provide any additional benefit when the point of the exercise was to replace incorrect but clean oil rather than clean grime out of the system...

Just draining and replacing, possibly twice with a hundred mile or so gap in between the first and second drain is all that's needed.
Simon

1978 CX 2400
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

LHM+ is a semi synthetic version of the fully synthetic LDS, you shouldn't have any problem driving on it for a while.
Citroen will probably be a bit picky and want to flush it all out.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC