Strange start on piccy

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

shane25
My Cars:

Strange start on piccy

Post by shane25 »

Hello People

I got a call from the missus saying she has broken down in the xsara picasso (1.8 petrol)

So i went out to have a look at the car tried to start, but it just felt like a flat battery, i turned everything off to give the starter more power, it then started but cut out straight away, so i tried again and it fired up but all the dash had been reset. I then proceeded home trying to keep a few revs.

When i got home i turned it off to get into the house, when i went back out and put the key in it started straight away without a fault, so i threw my alternator tester on the battery and it was running sweet without a fault, i then went under the bonnet (getting dark at this point) to see if there was an octopus or something under the bonnet, but there was nothing to be seen.

I couldn't find any loose connections, but i am thinking it could be a loose earth some where :?

Has any 1 else witnessed this problem or is the car just getting jealous because i said i might start looking for another car :mrgreen:

Shane
Xantidote
My Cars:

Re: Strange start on piccy

Post by Xantidote »

I'd certainly question whether the battery's up to it. More load and demands on the battery now we are into winter. Worth getting it tested - Halfords will put a fancy gizzmo across the terminals. They pronounce a battery as beyond it's useful life if the power (as they measure it) is less than 75% of battery's rated Cold Cranking Amps. Despite their pronouncing a battery of mine to be beyond it's useful life, it continued to be OK on the car for many months.

I'd also check the earth and positive cables from the battery. Check the battery clamps/connectors on the battery are still cool immediately after operating starter. Check no obvious corrosion where connectors are crimped on to the terminal clamps or eyes (very difficult if there's internal corrosion, but then this may lead to the clamp warming up under high starting current). Also check the earthing points.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )