Not a good drive at all

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stu9

Not a good drive at all

Post by stu9 »

I attempted to drive just over 200 miles this morning (Glasgow to Leeds) weather was hellish I left at (7)....seemed to ages to get 50 miles never mind 200!!. I know the C5's are realatively good cars but not long after Hamilton on the 74, there's no lights on the rd for about 30 miles and the cars lights are s**t too, I even had the fogs on, still crap!. Not to menton the wind, it's like trying steer a fkn boat, not good at all!

I honestly think after that experience, I dont think I'll have it long

Maybe with ordinary shocks and hids it'd be better who knows

What got me too was vans....I was sitting about 60ish and they were flyng past as it was a sunny day with no wind, wtf are these nutters all about
den169
My Cars:

Re: Not a good drive at all

Post by den169 »

Must be something wrong with it then.Iv'e had my c5 estate 6 years never had any problems like that.Its by far the best motorway drive iv'e had and i'm up to about my 30th car now.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

If the car keeps going off course in the wind needing constant corrections you've got worn suspension joints.

Could be any one or more of:

Lower arm bushes
Hub lower ball joint
Track rod ball joints
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would agree. the handling on them is not exactly sharp but that's not what you buy them for, well I don't anyway. I would check your tyre pressures and tyres, also your blood sugar level :wink: If you really want a reasonably comfortable car that handles well I would suggest a 406.

Peter
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

I was in the understanding that C5 headlights were Very Good, and side wind drives were quite stable..

Im no expert though, Ive not had a C5..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Light are fine, certainly wouldnt say they are poor at all, and on the motorway its rock solid, i wonder if yours has been owned by someone who has fitted comfort spheres and had an economy map done.................there is nothing in the C5's class is as nice to drive on the open road/ motorways.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v »

I did a similar drive a couple of years ago in similar weather on our way back from loch lomond in our old Laguna II estate , it just ate the miles and tbh was a better car alround than my C5 I had at the time :cry: , in fact the only car that matches it was a R25 V6 turbo I used to have years ago .

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

I think its a case of horses for courses, some don't like the C5 and some do. For example the above post, i had a MKII Laguna and hated it. I ached like a bar steward after a long drive in it and found it generally very wearing. The C5 however i love, it eats miles and remains comfortable for me after 5 straight hours driving, it is however a bit slab sided and susceptible to side winds on exposed roads.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Firstly, you don't say what Mk C5 you have, so it's kinda hard to judge.
My Mk III is by far the best motorway car I've driven in over 40 years of motoring. From Ford prefects to S type Jags, I've ploughed up and down from Aberdeen to Cornwall, London, Kent, Lowestoft York and all points between.
Last time coming from London the weather was horrendous from Birmingham to Gretna, with lashing rain and howling wind. The car sat firmly in the wind, with no wandering at all. Visability was very poor but when darkness descended the lights coped quite well. Not the best I've ever had, but certainly not a problem.
I agree that although my Renault Laguna Priviledge was a nice car, the seats were not built for 1000 mile trips. Backache was a constant problem.
I love my C5 III Exclusive. I had a Mk I many years ago, but didn't go further than Glasow from Aberdeen, (a mere Sunday afternoon jaunt), so couldn't comment on the comfort over a REAL journey.
It would be good to know exactly which C5 people are criticising so we can make an informed comment. I can't be bothered scrolling back to see, but I think the OP has had problems from the start, and can only find negative things with his car. It's a bit depressing for c5 owners and perhaps it would be better to get rid of the car if you so dislike it, instead of posting how bad it is.
Sorry but it's obviously not for you Stu, so find something you are happy driving instead of torturing yourself.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

den169 wrote:Must be something wrong with it then.Iv'e had my c5 estate 6 years never had any problems like that.Its by far the best motorway drive iv'e had and i'm up to about my 30th car now.
I agree with you. I've only had my 2003 C5 LX 110 HDI a week or so, but I picked it up and immediately did a 250 mile trip in it. Very good on the motorway, very stable, even at *ahem* mph.

Lights are very good, on a par with my Berlingo which also has good lights. I work 12 hour shifts from 7-7 and my commute is mostly on unlit roads, so good light are essential.

I drove home this morning and it was absolutely peeing down, as it had been all night. Lots of standing water, no problems at all on the Michelins that the car has on it. Obviously, in the few places where the local stream had overflowed it was a bit deeper than that, so I had to slow right down.

Great car, I like it more than I like my Xantias.

I'm on my 128th car now..
stu9

Post by stu9 »

Nothing but praise for them then....must be mine, it's an 03 2.0 hdi LX, and gutless....all filters are clean/replaced a month ago....no fault codes, egr's blanked too

Mark, I noticed you said it might have comfort spheres and an economy map....how I tell (with spheres anyway)

If anyone was close to Glasgow I could have met and you could have a go
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

stu9 wrote:it's an 03 2.0 hdi LX, and gutless
You've told us the model type, but I'm wondering which engine you have. Ignoring the 2.2, you could have either 90 or 110 HP 2.0L engine. Maybe yours is the 90?
Also, what's the mileage, as a high mileage could suggest worn front suspension bits, which would make it not so nice in cross-winds. Wouldn't explain the poor lights, but maybe the reflectors aren't so good now, or the wiring has developed a bit of electrical resistance, over the years
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
stu9

Post by stu9 »

The 110....135000, it's was mot'd just before I got it (2 months ago) with only one advisory for misting on a front shock, no worn bushes ect....but that's not to say that now something somwhere's "went"

As for the lights...yes I buffed them the next day after I got it as I went out that night and thought ffs they're crap....lets put it this way (and this is no lie) i can drive with the high beam on night or day (but especially at night) and no one flashes either oncoming or in front ie putting their brakes lights to let me know....that's how bad they are!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

It could be corrosion on the wiring terminals dropping the voltage to the lights and a clean up might improve things.
If you can measure the voltage at the bulb seat, it should be very close to 12V or you won't get the best out of them.
May also be cheap bulbs - I have seen them for as little as £10 for eight bulbs, wouldn't expect them to be the best, I just put a pair of Philips X-Treme Vision H7s in and there is an appreciable improvement over the ones replaced and no, they are not the horrible blue things. £19 a pair from Amazon.

I have no problems with the stability of the C5s, not quite as stable as the GS but better than most of the cars I have had or have driven.
Seats aren't too bad but I suspect a higher model would improve on that. The most comfortable seats I have found were in my youngest daughter's SAAB 900 Aero. Absolutely superb. Jim's Activa seats are pretty wonderful too.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

stu9 wrote:The 110....135000, it's was mot'd just before I got it (2 months ago) with only one advisory for misting on a front shock, no worn bushes ect....but that's not to say that now something somwhere's "went"

As for the lights...yes I buffed them the next day after I got it as I went out that night and thought ffs they're crap....lets put it this way (and this is no lie) i can drive with the high beam on night or day (but especially at night) and no one flashes either oncoming or in front ie putting their brakes lights to let me know....that's how bad they are!
Could it be cheapo bulbs or badly adjusted?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool