LHM Leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chlorate
My Cars:

LHM Leak

Post by Chlorate »

What a convenient time of the year! #-o

The STOP light on my dash kept flicking when pulling away on the way to the shops :evil:
Pulled in and checked the level, float below the bottom red line.
Handily there was a friendly local motor factors still open that stocked the magical green stuff, 2l bought dumped a litre in - float now on level with the top red line (oops).

Had a close look at my usual parking spot at home - few drops of LHM on the ground (not noticed before...). Peer under the car and there's a wet patch around the left hand rear ram. It's cold and dark and wet outside, so I didn't bother with a closer inspection.

Considering that it doesn't appear to be gushing out and only leaving a few drips (will have another look in the morning) and I feel that the ride quality has improved somewhat since refilling, and the car did seem to drop down slightly more than it should whilst stationary for some time and the STOP light did seem to be taking more time to go out in the morning...Granted that could all be down to perception... I'm hoping that it's a slow leak (note to self: check LHM more often...).

The most annoying thing is that I wanted to drive home (Kent) tomorrow for Christmas with the family, somewhat apprehensive now since I don't fancy a trip down the M1 on the back of a flat bed!

I'm hoping for something like a leaky union or return line and not something much more expensive - although the hydraulic unions could be a faff to fix.
I'll get her up on some stands and have a proper look tomorrow morning.

If anyone could advise as to some obvious first places to check and what to do about it I'd be very glad :)

Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
citronut
My Cars:

Re: LHM Leak

Post by citronut »

roughly were under the car is the wet patch, as it might just be a strut/leg return pipe perished, if so just re/join it with a short length of metal pipe,
you know one of those semi temporary permanent fix's :shock: :-D :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

So, finally got around to getting the car up and having a look around (first weekend it hasn't been p*ssing it down :lol: ) and annoyingly all I can really see is a general green gungy wetness...
The leak itself appears to be coming from the vicinity of a cluster of hoses that disappear around the suspension assembly without anything obvious that I can remove to get better access.

Since my original post I've been monitoring the puddle and topping up the fluid - about 2 litres since the original post, a litre every thousand-ish miles - and it does seem that it leaves a bigger puddle (and lose more fluid) after I've checked the level...although I could be imagining things :D

I took a few piccies with the wife's camera to see if any of our Xantia gurus would be able to shed a bit more light on things.

More can be found here: http://imageshack.us/g/1/9961209/

Really have no idea where to start... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alex

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Looking at this picture, it seems that the leak source is above the rear cradle. The pipes seen top right are quite wet. K-union is also another weak point which is seen in the pic.

Try to clean around with some break cleaner and rags. After that it would be easier to find the leak source.

Edit: On top of the rear cradle (I hope this is the correct term :) ) there is a Y-link which can be seen by using a torch and a mirror. Try to clean that also. It might be the leaking component.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

I agree with Malcom that probably you've got a break in the low pressure return pipework. The pipes that are visible in your photos look in good condition.

Some of the pipework runs along above the rear sub-frame, and it could be a hidden rusty return pipe, or (more likely?) one of the rubber tube/pipe connectors splitting. Alas, not very easy to see, and I've yet to experience this problem, so can't give you useful guidance. However, I'm sure there's been a similar problem posted on the Forum in the last 2-3 months, with a diagram of where the rubber connectors are located. I do recall advice on lowering the sub-frame was to undo it's 2 rearmost fixing bolts, and to just ease the 2 forward fixing bolts, so that the sub-frame tips back a little. How much access this gives I don't know - hopefully someone else will be along shortly with more advice.

Access would be improved if the spare wheel carrier were to be removed - good luck :)
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Xantidote wrote:... Some of the pipework runs along above the rear sub-frame, and it could be a hidden rusty return pipe, or (more likely?) one of the rubber tube/pipe connectors splitting. ...
That was exactly the Y-connector which I tried to explain. It has rubber tube/pipe. :)
It is close to the place where the metal pipes are guided downwards.

Tip: I sometimes use digital camera for such difficult to see locations in Xantia. It helped several times.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Come hell or high water I'm going to get under the car this weekend...

On the off chance it does turn out to be one of the Y connectors (sounds likely to me..) could anyone suggest a suitable replacement? I was thinking a 3-way plastic or brass barbed fitting and a couple of jubblies would do the trick - but what size fitting should I get? (i.e. what's the I/D of the hose in question?

Alex

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

As yours is an Exclusive you may well find that it is the hydractive valve return that has popped off. There is a hard plastic pipe that comes from the valve and runs along the top of the subframe, then just plugs into a rubber hose just above that hole. A bit of leakage from the valve, and the pressure is too much and the joint pops. I tried putting it back, came off again, then I put it back with cable ties on it - lasted a bit longer, but still came off - then I fitted cable ties either side and wired them together - never came off again :-D
Richard W
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

That sounds like a nice easy fix, and quite feasible the cause of the leak too. Thanks for the heads up.
I do like the cable ties until it's mended approach - always have a few to hand!

Need to get this sorted soon, my hand was forced the other day and I had to buy LHM from Halfords - local factors didn't restock the stuff over Christmas and someone bought their last couple of bottles... :twisted:
14 pounds a litre!!! :evil:

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Taffyrhys
My Cars:

Post by Taffyrhys »

I ordered some lhm fluid from ebay (GSF) for less than £6 a litre delivered. Bargain

I hope you fix the leak at the weekend.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Hmmm sorry it sound a bit harder but that could also be a rotton pipe in a pipe clip!.ive seen that where it looks like a low pressure leak but the pipe clamp clip has been enough to slow the high pressure leak to a slow sort that looks like low pressure...

if sorting the Y push fit doesn't solve it id look from the other side by that i mean remove rear wheel support car under the sill area so the rear Subframe is all clear put a trolly jack under the subframe and undo the two 18mm bolts holding the frame to the car then lower the frame.. it should lower enough to see on top of the frame at the pipes on top of the Subframe.. you can get a closer look then..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it could be a brake feed pipe leaking can you get someone to press the brake pedal whilst your under there ( WITH THE CAR CORRECTLY SUPPORTED OF COURSE )
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Of course, wouldn't dream of getting under a hydraulic Citroen without the car being on stands etc. Especially given that it has hydraulic problems.

I do hope it's not a HP pipe not an easy fix I expect...

Sorry to repeat a question...but does anyone know the I/D of the flexible return hoses that connect to the aforementioned Y connector? Just in case that does turn out to be the issue it'd be nice to have a replacement connector to hand and save doing the job twice.

Alex

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Seriously, buy the connectors; if you are dropping the subframe it will pay you to replace them.
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

RichardW wrote:There is a hard plastic pipe that comes from the valve and runs along the top of the subframe, then just plugs into a rubber hose just above that hole.
We have a winner!

Precisely what it turned out to be.
As I was dropping the rear suspension assembly down I noticed a suspicious zip tie, sure enough a hard plastic pipe loosely pushed into a rubber hose was sitting in a pool of LHM with a zip tie around it (someone has been here before). Cut the old zip tie off and replaced with a little jubbly.
Simples :D

Remind me to get a round in if we ever meet Richard.

Now for an MOT....

Alex

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP