Xantia syncro

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

muzojones
My Cars:

Xantia syncro

Post by muzojones »

Anybody repaired the synchro on a 1.9td gearbox. Would be interested to know how difficult (in car)it will be. Cheers
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

It can be done.
- but the risc of getting dirt into to the gears doing the box in-situ is high - trashing the box. No doubt it's best done out of car in a clean workshop area.
Why not consider a replacement low mileage box from a reputed scrapyard ?
The box itself is no big job to remove/replace - and lot's of other preventative service/overhaul bits are then easily done while you're there.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Surely the only synchro that could be replaced in-situ is the 5th gear one as it's on the end of the box. All the others will require removal and stripping of both shafts, which will invovle splitting the box, so it must be removed.
Xantia 1.9TD box is not that easy to remove (according to TBOL) - have you tried changing the oil, checking the clutch adjustment, checking that all the gear linkages are lubricated and adjusted properly first?
RichardW
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

the gearbox can be stripped in place,the 5th gear casing & main casing comes off but the bell housing stays in place.
which syncro is it that needs replaced,if its just the 5th gear one the its really easy.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

FWIW, I have found most cars particularly dealer serviced cars, tend to be running low to empty gearboxes. Don't ask me why, I can only presume that they either take it for granted the level's right or just pull the level plug and if it has an oil film assiume it's OK.
I had one as low as 300ml which was notchy to change & crunched if changed fast. I drained & refilled and added a gearbox additive and the box is now like new.
I'd be inclined to do this as well as check clutch adjustments etc before I began demolishing gearboxes.
It's a much simpler & cheaper option.
Alan S