Main windscreen mists up

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deuchebleu
My Cars: xxxxxxxxxx

Re: Main windscreen mists up

Post by deuchebleu »

Notwithstanding all the above which are all valid points, I think you will find it is a design problem. Mine has done it from new, 2008. Initially I tried all sorts of permutations of the controls but in the end it's easier to just turn the aircon on and it clears more or less instantly. This is in relatively high humidity conditions and/or several passengers in the car; it doesn't do it in lower humidity conditions. If yours does it in low humidity, driver only then you may have a genuine problem.

John
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Try changing the cabin filter. I bet its blocked with stuff. Blowing out with an airline or reverse sucking, :shock: , with a vacuum cleaner can help.

H
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

Remembering back 7 years to when I had last one, even from new the windscreen misted up very badly first thing in the morning if it was a bit cold. I think mine had climate control, which I tend to leave on and in any case cycles regularly to keep the compressor free and lubricated.

The system is programmed so that the compressor won't run if the outside temperature is below (I think) 3 degrees C but to my mind it was a bit higher. If you start up on a cold morning, and the compressor didn't run, everything misted up presumably because it was blowing all the previous days moisture off the heat exchanger before the engine had warmed up to give you some hot air to blend it with. My 2.0Hdi took and age to warm up anyway.

So - if its OK on warm mornings and misty on cold (sub about 5 degree) ones that might just be what it does anyway. If you do have aircon or climate control on, maybe turn it off a few miles before home and turn the heat up, see if that gives you a less misty start the next day.

Another thought, there will be a drain pipe to collect condensate from the heat exchanger, maybe that is blocked?
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini