help me please

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

louis1
My Cars:

help me please

Post by louis1 »

i have a 1993 zx 1.9 TD and whenever i put the heater on it smells of anti-freeze. I also noticed that there is an air lock in the coolant system so i have bleed it. I now notice that there is anti-freeze on the passenger side foot-well. Is it the matrix? and if so is it to do?
Thanks Louis
lhm_leak
My Cars:

Post by lhm_leak »

Certainly seems like the matrix. I recently had one let go on a 2.0 Xantia, and had the same symptoms as you - with the addition of clouds of steam 'cos the engine was hot at the time... Don't know about the ZX, but it might be worthwhile checking the supply hoses at the bulkhead first before committing to another matrix, the connectors can sometimes leak.
Stu.
pete woods
My Cars:

Post by pete woods »

I bought a Xantia with a leaking Matrix, I found out afterwards! I don@t know about the ZX but It's a huge job on a Xantia to change it. So I put in some stuff called BARS. After a couple of days the leak stopped & it's been OK for the past year. Incidentaly,years ago I used it on a Nissan with a leaking rad. It worked for th 4 years I had the car.
lhm_leak
My Cars:

Post by lhm_leak »

I think mine's probably too far gone for a "magic" treatment - I'm going to have to do it the hard way [:(!] There was about an inch of water in the passenger footwell when I finally got it home - good thing I had a few gallons in the boot to keep refilling with!
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

On the ZX the entire dash including the steering column also has to be removed, I've done two of them now and if you are used to doing involved jobs similar to this its not that difficult, if the thought of taking all that lot out worries you though, don't go near it, you wont like it.
On the first one I did the matrix was still ok, it was the "o" rings in the plastic extention that were leaking, but when you have gone to those lengths you stuff a new one in anyway, it would be sods law if you didn't.
Dave