'new' to me C5 III 138 Excl. auto...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

'new' to me C5 III 138 Excl. auto...

Post by old'uns »

...finally picked it up today :)

bit of a shock with putting in 70l instead of 65 but hopefully economy won't be too far off?
£250 Car Tax! another shock after £135 for the series I
ordered new mats last week, arrrived Tue, mats in there are good.. :oops:
just waiting on boot liner before i ship all my crap in there for good.
treated myself to some new Ali Aero bars, the old black square ones had seen better days and a bit reluctant to come off!

Right then, first impressions......
soooo quiet, i now realise just how 'rough' feeling the old one is although still bearable.
rides well, handling is as before although not really pressed on yet and OH won't be too pleased if i put it into a ditch!

storage space in front and doors is, well, a bit on the small side compared to old one, time for a real clear out me'thinks?
good sound system, would have liked the USB /Bluetoooth but not a deal breaker by any means, good job i kept the mp3's

pics to follow over w/e assuming weather picks up, coldest day for ages & pick it to swap over!
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Re: 'new' to me C5 III 138 Excl. auto...

Post by mooseshaver »

Hoorah! Lets have a race ;-)
Be prepared for more scary prices with tyres. Just bought four primacy 3s. £663.
And the bigger fuel tank is a surprise. Especially when run down low and you stick bp expensive stuff in it. Almost hit £100.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Did you think you had gone deaf when you took the new motor for a run?
Agree with the lack of front cubbies. Ridiculous for such a big car. The little tray above the ash try is pretty useless and the glovebox is full of fuses. The door pockets are too narrow for a small bottle of water. The fact that they light up when you put your hand in is a neat touch, but only really any use if you are stopped. The centre armrest storage isn't much better, and the single cup holder is an awful design. Put a costa coffee cup in there and try to get it out without spilling or boiling the skin off your hand! The car is superb, but let down by silly design faults.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Nice to see a good few C5III owners on here now :-D

Old'uns, I hope you get just as good service out of this one as you have your last :)
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

qprdude wrote:The fact that they light up when you put your hand in is a neat touch, but only really any use if you are stopped. The centre armrest storage isn't much better, and the single cup holder is an awful design. Put a costa coffee cup in there and try to get it out without spilling or boiling the skin off your hand!.
They light up? Did not know that! Is that on all of them or only certain trim or years?

I like the centre cup holder as I can fit a McDonald's large coke and it doesn't fall over at every stop and start.
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

The door pockets will certainly light up when you put your hand in them. Not sure about in every trim level, but your Exclusive will definitely have it.

I bet your off outside to try it!
Rick.

mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

I am resisting hard not to go outside and try, its so cold! How did you know I want to? :-D
I'm going to have to look for the sensor tomorrow too!

The glovebox for the passenger side surprises me with its lack of size. But nice to have the air conditioned feed into it. Not had that since my C3. None of my C5s had it, despite being better car.

While i remember, I notice there is not battery cover in my C5. Is this normal? I can see holes where one might fit like the previous C5s. Does it matter if there isn't?
Gone cars.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

Citroenmad wrote: Old'uns, I hope you get just as good service out of this one as you have your last :)
very nearly didn't :oops:

putting roof rails on i lowered the suspension, guess what i didn't do when we went shopping tonight?
yup, drove over part of the high kerb outside. crunch! front bumper...crunch!, rear bumper. well luckily towbar fitted so that took the brunt of it
suspension fault flashing, don't drive over 55mph etc, wouldn't do a thing with switch, bit bouncy as well, not looking too good!!!
luckily 45mins in the cold taught it a lesson 8-[

the door storage lights are errrmmmm..clever but when they're so small and junk is in there, no room to put hands in anyway?
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

mooseshaver wrote: I like the centre cup holder as I can fit a McDonald's large coke and it doesn't fall over at every stop and start.
So better than the original C5 then! Use the cup holder in that and as soon as you come to a stop at a junction the bottle/cup falls forwards onto the height button and puts the car into low. Not handy! :lol:
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

mooseshaver wrote:I am resisting hard not to go outside and try, its so cold! How did you know I want to? :-D
I'm going to have to look for the sensor tomorrow too!

The glovebox for the passenger side surprises me with its lack of size. But nice to have the air conditioned feed into it. Not had that since my C3. None of my C5s had it, despite being better car.

While i remember, I notice there is not battery cover in my C5. Is this normal? I can see holes where one might fit like the previous C5s. Does it matter if there isn't?

I knew because every time someone mentions a gizmo, i have to nip out to the car to check. I presumed every owner would feel the urge!
There should definitely be a battery cover. It clips on at the back, then front tabs slot into or clip onto the back of the fusebox (I think) but it's too cold to go and check now. The battery is always better protected if possible. I've been lucky, all my cars for the last 12 years have had A/C - Heated glove compartments.
The problem with the cup holder is the plastic flexible "leaf" type grippers. They go down when you put a coffee cup into the holder, and hold onto the cup like glue. when you want the cup out, you have to grip so bleedin hard, the coffee spills out the top. GGggrrrr.
My solution is to dump the top inch or so from the cup before using the holder.(after much spilling and burning)
Rick.

mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

Citroenmad wrote:
mooseshaver wrote: I like the centre cup holder as I can fit a McDonald's large coke and it doesn't fall over at every stop and start.
So better than the original C5 then! Use the cup holder in that and as soon as you come to a stop at a junction the bottle/cup falls forwards onto the height button and puts the car into low. Not handy! :lol:
Yes! And then trying to wipe coke off the buttons and worrying about the bit that might have gone down the gap around a button.
Gone cars.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

My door bins don't light up.
Gone cars.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Oh no, disaster. You will have to have a look see. I'm sure it's one of the things that are standard on the Exclusive. Maybe a sensor faulty or even a bulb. No, the passenger side would still work. Have you tried with the lights on auto? I'm surprised . I knew mine had the pocket lights, but I only see them when the car is dark and the lights are on.
Rick.

mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

Lights are on auto and mood lighting is on. I can feel two holes above but not see what's in them. Like screw holes
Gone cars.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Too wet to check mine but I'll have a look when the rain stops. (probably around the end of January)
Rick.