Xantia engine noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

caspm

Xantia engine noise

Post by caspm »

Hello.
I have a little problem with my Xantia 1.8 16v year 7/2000.
There is a tapping noise at about 950-1000 rpm at idle speed. It's not always there, and when i give a little throttle it's gon. Do any of you now to this problem??
Hav a nice day - Casper, Denmark
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hej Casper [:)]
Before suspecting anything serious - try this method suggested by AlanS :
In complete darkness - look over the ignition system for any earth sparking from components. The ignition HT has the highest energy at low rev's - and such sparking makes a distinct sharp ticking noise - related to engine rev's.
Have a battery torch at hand to locate components before testing.
Small, weak (faint) sparking - even faint glowing along the HT cables are normal - due to the Corona effects of High Tension.
You should look for any sturdy sparking - pointing to weak/defective components. Often the problem is related to surface dirt on the plug caps/leads. These can be cleaned using petrol - then household alcohol - finished off with a light spray of silicone - wiping off excess.
Jonesy
My Cars:

Post by Jonesy »

How loud a tapping noise are you getting?
Are you sure its not the injector soleniods opening and closing? When you rev the engine the noise of the solenoids does not get louder so you think it has disappeard. Just a thought, but I've been asked this several times by colleagues and customers.
caspm

Post by caspm »

Tanks for the help topics.
I'v just ben lokking i darkness, but no signs. The noise is comming from the ignition coil - i think. It's a periodic noise.
Casper, Denmark
Tom.Abd
My Cars:

Post by Tom.Abd »

Getting the same with mine, 1.8 16v reg May 2000. It apears as a faint ticking sound from the left hand side (facing forward) of the engine bay. I've tried to isolate it but I can't make it out over the engine noise with the bonnet up.
It apears a a quiet ticking. Only starts once the engine is warm, and seems to go away when you put some load onto it (even at idle). It is a nice regular 5-6 Hz regardless of engine revs or speed. The only reason I notice it is I spend quite a bit of time in traffic, morning and night, mainly idling along in first and second.
If anything I am starting to think it is something electrical, a fan or a relay etc. I don't think it is loud enough, and the frequency also seems a bit high for a solenoid.
Any suggestions guys ?
Tom.Abd
My Cars:

Post by Tom.Abd »

FOUND IT !! [:)] - wasn't really that hard once I started looking properly.
For your reference - '00 late model Xantia 1.8 16v LX RH drive h/back
There is a small (1/4") hard plastic (could be a vacuum) pipe that comes out of the bottom of the throttle manifold and is clipped above the radiator untill it gets to a small brown pressure switch / solenoid thingy just above the LHS headlight. It's this device that is clicking. From the back is another 1/4" hard plastic pipe that dissapears between the engine bay and wheel arch to god only knows where. 2 wires connect to the bottom of the thingy and dissapear into the loom.
Thought about pulling the plug, but then maybe not as I havn't got a scooby what the thing is. I know - where's my sense of adventure [:I] ?
Oh well - any response would be much appreciated, especially if this is some sign of impending doom.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

sounds like your charcoal canister electrovalve,its just for controling the flow of fuel vapour to be re burned (thats why one pipe goes into the inlet manifold),the other pipe goes to the charcoal canister & the wires go to the injection ECU & double relay.
i dont think the noise is anything to worry about(it will make a ticking noise as it's an electrovale),you could try insulating it to dampen the noise.
disconecting it wont make any noticeable difference to the running but it may bring the engine management light on.
Tom.Abd
My Cars:

Post by Tom.Abd »

Cheers Wheeler,
I'll just go back to ignoring it and turning the radio up.