C5 rear suspension half knackered

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Lynnzer

C5 rear suspension half knackered

Post by Lynnzer »

Wife was driving home tonight and the rear end just dropped down to the lowest ride height.
I can raise to maximum at both front and rear and the next lowest height but anything lower,ie normal ride height, just goes to minimum, but only on the rear.
I've had it parked for a couple of hours now and at max height and it hasn't dropped since while parked.
I'm guessing it isn't the pressure as this would affect all corners, nor is it likely to be the rear spheres as both of them would need be faulty.

I have it booked in at the dealers tomorrow but I would like any suggestions in the meantime if you can advise me of any fixes.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Re: C5 rear suspension half knackered

Post by Citroenmad »

Sounds like a problem with the rear height corrector
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Lynnzer

Re: C5 rear suspension half knackered

Post by Lynnzer »

Sorted.
Took the car to my local garage and they scratched their heads and couldn't find anything wrong. They suggested a local motor electrician.
Whipped it up on the ramps and I immediately saw a broken link rod between the 2 spheres under the rear crossbeam.
Had read about this only a few hours ago and a quick fix mend of binding the bits together with a plastic cable tie did the job.
I'll get a new rod on order to fit myself but in the meantime the fix is working fine.

It makes you wonder though doesn't it. The garage that couldn't find anything wrong is our MOT garage so how in hell they could miss seeing a snapped (corroded through) link rod makes me less than enthusiastic about using them for much else.