C4 Picasso Rear pad change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

C4 Picasso Rear pad change

Post by RichardW »

Looking at the C4 the other day, I see that the rear pads are nearly gone - this may be why we are getting a squeak from the back sometimes, and why it threw a handbrake warning the other day (resolved after a re-start and has not re-ocurred). Anyone know how to do it (er Lighty.... :lol: )

Is it enough just to turn off the auto function on the handbrake, or will it need resetting with lexia afterwards?
Do the pistons have to be screwed back in - and if so are they both RH thread?
Wise to open bleed screws whilst pushing back?

Discs look fine - fronts on the other hand I suspect will need pads and discs in the not too distant....
Richard W
Nebby

Re: C4 Picasso Rear pad change

Post by Nebby »

10 plate C4 Picasso, auto handbrake.. Another litany of bad maintainance from Citroen M'cr, 1 loose wheel stud one pad on the studs after being told there a few month left in them but they're getting due. Cars done 150ml since and needs new discs and pads. Anyway, turn on ignition foot on pedal turn off handbrake then tun off the ignition, car sits there with no handbrake on and was fine afterwards, I just turned on the ignition and re-engaged the brake.
Simple to get the pads out, undo caliper with a 13mm spanner disconnect the handbrake cable swap the pads on the disc mount. The pistons screw in anti-clock for N/S uk and clockwise O/S uk. had to have the bleed nipples wide open though to get them to go back and they seem to have a slightly steeper pitch to the threads as the winding tool kept coming loose as they were going back in. They did need a fair twist to them going not sure if it's because they were so far out but, went back real slick once they started to move, line up the slots for the peg on the back of the pad and reassemble. Easier than expected really :D
Lighty
My Cars:

Re: C4 Picasso Rear pad change

Post by Lighty »

Sounds like a fair description of how to do it, although we don't tend to loosen the bleed nipples, but it will certainly help.
So long as you pump the brake pedal a few times before allowing the handbrake to operate, all is usually well.
Sometimes, the handbrake fault light will come on, and lexia will be required to clear any errors.
However, the facelift model is completely different, with the motor actually fitted to each caliper. These cars require Diagbox to electronically release the calipers, consequently they are much trickier to complete.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami