hydraulic warning light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chrissyboy

hydraulic warning light

Post by chrissyboy »

I have just bought a citroen xantia 1.9 TD 97/P and in the last few hours have noticed the hydraulic warning light and the stop light coming on now and again whilst the car is moving.I would be grateful for any feedback on how to rectify this problem if indeed it is one.
Thanks in advance.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Top the LHM+ hydraulic fluid up first, this is the main cause of this problem if there are no other hydraulic problems. Make sure you use only proper green LHM+ and nothing else.
If problems persist then post again and we'll offer some more help :)
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

what is the difference between LHM & LHM+ ? Please don't say a " + ".
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

+ is a newer product and of course is supposed to be better. I expect + is recommended for Xantias and it maay be more expensive. I haven't heard of anyone blowing things up and attributing it to using the wrong one.
Jeremy
andycarter
My Cars:

Post by andycarter »

LHM = Liquide Hydraulique Mineral (my French spelling may be a bit off)
This is a green fluid for use in citroens with green painted components.
There are some other citroen systems around that use a different fluid and parts are painted a different colour (so simple its almost genius!)
LHM+ is a newer specification and is probably all you can get nowadays, it is backward compatible and mixable with LHM.
Andy
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

I don't think you can get normal LHM anymore. Whenever I've seen it it has always been LHM+.
I asked an oil salesman the same question and was told LHM+ has better lubricity and maintains its viscosity over a wider temperature range.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Before you overfill the LHM reservoir, check that your (front) brakes arn't nearly worn down to the metal. 'Cause if they are, when you replace them, LHM will be flowing down the sides of the reservoir tank!
However, despite this warning, its a good idea to change the entire contents of the LHM tank if the oil in the tank isn't nearly flourecent green.
//NiSk