Berlingo 1.6HDi Cruise Control

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BlingoBlue

Berlingo 1.6HDi Cruise Control

Post by BlingoBlue »

Upgrading to Cruise control - I hope?
I have been sorting a few CC problems over on the Berlingo Forum but seem to have hit a dead end, so I brought the info. to date over for the experts here #-o
Berlingo 55 Plate 1.6HDi (diesel) Multispace Desire. 9HXC engine without FAP and 5 speed manual gearbox.
Checked BSI and it has Cruise (RVV) and Speed Limiter options available, checked Injection ECU and it has Cruise option and over-speed options.
Car has a clutch switch (now working) and two brake switches (1 x 4 wire unit).
Fitted the CC stalk (no limiter option) and Comm2000 shows all CC switches working ok - using Lexia3 & laptop;
Enabled Cruise (RVV) in BSI and it programmed ok. (using code 03114)
Enabled Cruise in Injection ECU and programmed (sleep time out) ok.
Lexia3 ECU Parameter checks show CC stalk switches all ok, clutch switch ok and both brake switches ok
Assembled a short version of 'How Cruise Works' attached - THEN STILL NO GO!! :!:
Have since tried enabling the speed limiter options just in case they were needed in this ECU S/W version - that just brought up a accelerator pedal fault (read another thread that that can happen if the actuator is the wrong type). #-o
Then tried resetting both ecu's to original settings and then carefully programming just the Cruise in the Injection ECU first with an extended sleep time allowance and then the BSI. Still the same? :cry:

I have one pre-exiting Injection fault - Pre-heat Relay P1351 - must be duff feedback from the relay as the engine is starting on the button in the cold. I'll sort that one later.

On a run to test the CC - Speed was up to 50mph in 4th (also tried again in 5th) when I operated the CC 'on' switch and then operated the '+SET' switch to memorize speed - nothing other than a slowdown when I lifted off the throttle.
Tried several on/off cycles and +set or -set operations to try and get a memory set -- no go :cry:

After any test run I have one new fault, a new Injection fault,-
Remote temporary fault P0565 Cruise Control Comms Error or Incorrect Data.
The data recorded for fault;
Engine - 738rpm (always a value <1k rpm)
Vehicle speed - 0kph
CC Request - CC and Speed Limiter not selected
Injector Flow - 6mg/cp
Engine status - Initialization
Data looks wrong to me as speed was @50mph before touching the CC, but this is a repeatable fault.

The only other Lexia3 issue I have found is that it does not 'recognize' the ABS ECU.
The vehicle spec says its a Bosch ABS8_0. My Lexia menu has Bosch 'ABS8_0, ABS8_1 & ABR5_3'.
The ABR5_3 does not connect (ok), both the ABS8_0 & ABS8_1 connect and interrogate the ecu IF you override the Lexia warning? :-**
They both give the same ECU ID information PSA ref 9660779880, S/W Ver 01.05, Diagnostics Ver. 0E, Bocsh No 91699140.
Neither show any stored faults or obvious ABS configuration problems.
I have all of the id data for the Bosch Engine (Injection) ECU if that would help anyone?

My understanding is that the Injection ECU gets speed data from the ABS ECU and the CC requests come from the Com2000 both over the CAN bus.
The speedo is working ok (vehicle speed data from ABS ECU) as is the Rev Counter (engine speed data from Injection ECU) both via CAN bus to Instruments?
Any experts out there can suggest what to investigate next?? :-k
My Lexia3 is a Chinese version with S/W V43.5 if that helps.
Running out of ideas [-o<
Attachments
Short CC Operation
Short CC Operation
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: Berlingo 1.6HDi Cruise Control

Post by DickieG »

I tried to fit cruise to my 1.6 HDi 55reg Berlingo but its a no go as the BSI is apparently coded not to allow cruise in the UK, this info came from Citroen UK.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
BlingoBlue

Post by BlingoBlue »

Thanks for the info.
Must admit I was going around in circles.
If Citroen have blocked the CC in the BSI for the UK on the 55 1.6HDi versions.
Are there any later versions of the 1.6HDi BSI that have CC? (maybe a s/w update)
Did they sell any M59 1.6HDi Berlingo's with CC as a factory fit after 2005? (maybe a way to unlock)
Can you select a different market setting for the BSI to get one where it was not blocked?
What options have you already tried - save duplication of effort.
Thanks again.
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Iam sure I have fitted cruise to a Berlingo for someone,didnt make notes unfortunately. I am putting it into my 09 plate multispace on Tuesday, but a totally different prospect I suspect.
I am sure I could do it with the laptop in front of me, is there something in display you have to change?
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Lighty wrote:Iam sure I have fitted cruise to a Berlingo for someone,didnt make notes unfortunately.
I had it fitted to my 04 2.0 HDi Berlingo but ran into a brick wall when I updated to the later 55 reg 1.6 HDi, when I questioned Citroen UK about this they faxed me a copy of a service document stating that it couldn't be done.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
BlingoBlue

Post by BlingoBlue »

Has anyone got a 1.6HDi 2005 - 2006 vintage that has a cruise control fitted ??
Was it a factory fit option when the 1.6HDi was introduced in the UK ??
I have seen people around the forum with later model 1.6HDi's (2007 on) who have Cruise from new and some who say they have fitted cruise themselves.
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

BlingoBlue wrote:Was it a factory fit option when the 1.6HDi was introduced in the UK ??
No it wasn't, if it had been available I'd have ordered it as I bought the car brand new, strangely enough IIRC it was available on the Peugeot version but couldn't be done on the Blingo.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
lurchy666
My Cars: citroen c5 hdi 2.2 auto estate

Post by lurchy666 »

anything can be done if you put your mind to it, i once had a volvo 850 and i fitted cruise to that, helped put cruise (ford granada setup) on a mk 5 di transit as well, its not impossable just takes some time to get ur mind around what needs doing, if youve got all the bits etc why see if the pug ecu etc with cruise would fit if they had it from the factory,
c5 2.2 auto hdi estate 52 reg
lurchy666

Post by lurchy666 »

for example the granada setup needs the pump, the bellows connected to the throttle cable, a switch on the clutch and on the brake (witch are also vaccum switchs) the cruise ecu and the switches/control board from the steering wheel,

from memory its 3 cables from the ecu to the pump, vaccum pipe between pump switch and bellow, the clutch and brake switches are wired in sieres from the ecu, a speedo cable (from the transducer (vss) in the gear box or from the speedo head as they were electronic) an earth and main live to the ecu, 3 cables to the switches in steering wheel/control board (which can be put where ever you want as it can all be removd from the steering wheel, a dash bulb to tell you the system is on, and a sidelight feed to dim the light at night and its that simple,

i know the citroen setup will be more complex but it cant be all that difficult to fit one from another model (either later or earlier) and modify it to work
lurchy666

Post by lurchy666 »

also if the pug version had cruise couldnt you get the pug bsi coded to your car then u'd in therory have it then
BlingoBlue

Post by BlingoBlue »

Hi Lurchy, the system in the Blingo is fly by wire (digital) and they seem to have blocked the on/off switch commands (data) from the Com2000 within the BSI.
From my fault readout - the on/off command seems blocked so when the +set or -set commands arrive at the Injection ecu (they do seem to be getting thro' the BSI) it throws up a wierd error.
By-passing "parts of" the fly by wire is not possible but I have fitted alternative CC on a fly by wire TD4 diesel Freelander manual (again was not a factory option) by using a Waeco unit. This manages CC by interfacing (T connector) between the accelerator pedal and the loom and uses its own processor to take over the pedal output (electronically) and adjust the speed that way. Works ok but cost £300+ - too much for the Blingo!
I assume the blocked BSI builds are the early 1.6HDi's without the FAP?
The later ones seem to be ok (maybe)?
DickieG - is there a BSI update (s/w) that may help?
Thanks for the responses guys.
Not quite given up yet but have ordered a blanking plate for the CC stalk just in case.
BlingoBlue

Post by BlingoBlue »

DickieG - Just out of interest does your BSI show both the options for Cruise and Speed limiter like mine?
Can you set them on in yours?
I assume that you also have CC and Limiter in the Injection ECU that can also be set?
When you tried it out did you get the same fault as I did or something different?
Just covering all of the bases, thanks
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

DickieG wrote:
Lighty wrote:Iam sure I have fitted cruise to a Berlingo for someone,didnt make notes unfortunately.
I had it fitted to my 04 2.0 HDi Berlingo but ran into a brick wall when I updated to the later 55 reg 1.6 HDi, when I questioned Citroen UK about this they faxed me a copy of a service document stating that it couldn't be done.
It's also fitted to my 04 2.0HDI Berlingo. Oh, wait, you already know that! :P
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Can't buy a used BSI off leboncoin? (Look for "regul de vitesses".)
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

BlingoBlue wrote:DickieG - Just out of interest does your BSI show both the options for Cruise and Speed limiter like mine?
Can you set them on in yours?
I assume that you also have CC and Limiter in the Injection ECU that can also be set?
When you tried it out did you get the same fault as I did or something different?
Just covering all of the bases, thanks
I sold the car a few years ago now but from what I recall although both options were there nothing happened even when they were set to 'on', I don't know about a software update changing this but be very careful about updating the software as this can totally screw up the ECU, in the words of a Citroen Technician I spoke to at Citroen HQ "try that at your peril and make sure you have a replacement ECU to hand".
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH