speedo over reading.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bick

speedo over reading.

Post by Bick »

Hi all hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I bought a Relay van mk2 06 plate with the 2l HDI engine at the beginning of this year but the speedo has always over read e.g. when it says its doing 30 its only doing 28mph. This is not a major problem but it gets worse the faster you go so when the speedo says you are doing 60 you are only doing 53mph. I noticed it when using my sat nav and when coming up to those sighs that tell you how fast you are going! I also suspect its being a bit erratic at times but not sure on this.

I did suspect the gearbox sender unit but my mate a Citroen says they tend to work or not, he suspects the speedo head.

The 2L HDI engine and gearbox are the same fitted to a lot of Citroen and Peugeot cars so thought one of you guys may be able to help?

Many thanks

Bick
Chlorate
My Cars:

Re: speedo over reading.

Post by Chlorate »

That's about normal actually, most speedos over-read by about 10%. Or at least that's how it's been whenever I've checked car speedometers against satnavs. It would seem likely to me that changing the speedo head on the dashboard wouldn't fix it, you'd need to recalibrate etc and I don't know how that would be done.

Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
lurchy666
My Cars: citroen c5 hdi 2.2 auto estate

Post by lurchy666 »

my xantia is the other way, when it says 30 your doing 34, 40 is 43, 50 is 51 then 60 and 70 are spot on, mine just seems to dislike the slow speeds, (yes my tires/wheels are all correct size)
c5 2.2 auto hdi estate 52 reg
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

The Construction and Use Regulations require that speedometers (the limits for tachographs are much tighter) are accurate to within -0% and +10% (5% for cars registered after about 2008 IIRC) plus 2.5mph. The requirement that speedos must never under-read means that they are manufactured to deliberately over-read regardless of which tyre size (of the available options) and how much tread there is.

My Xantia is pretty good - it over-reads very slightly at 30 and gets progressively more optimistic - when I last checked (fairly new front tyres) my sat-nav says an indicated 70 was actually 66-67.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Yep, speedo over reading of up to 10% is normal, mine reads 70 when I'm really doing 63 on new original size tyres. Nothing to worry about and nothing much you can do about it anyway. Besides, its helping you to avoid getting a speeding ticket! :lol:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Taffyrhys
My Cars:

Post by Taffyrhys »

You are the lucky one, as my xantia S1 speedo was under estimating. When the speedo was reading 60mph, i was doing 65mph on the sat nav so had to be extra careful with speed cameras or average speed camera on motorway road works.

Happy days and by luck alone didn't get a speeding ticket :-D :-D :-D
Bick

Post by Bick »

Hi all and thank you for the replies.

I was aware of the 10% margin but to be honest i havent ever had a vehicle this for out, i could say its a citroen thing but ive had a few of them now over the last 20+ years and never had one this far out, 1 or 2 mph out at 30-50 getting to 5 mph out at above legal motorway speeds. :-D

But from your replies it seems ive been very lucky :shock:

Looks like live with it and take no notice - sounds good to me lol

Anyway thanks again folks
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

My Xantia speedo reads on average 7% over, although this is not consistant across the speed range. I think the "inaccuracy" or more the built in overread is probably from the sensor as when I changed instrument pods the overread stayed the same as far as I could tell.

Rory
Bick

Post by Bick »

rory_perrett wrote:My Xantia speedo reads on average 7% over, although this is not consistant across the speed range. I think the "inaccuracy" or more the built in overread is probably from the sensor as when I changed instrument pods the overread stayed the same as far as I could tell.

Rory

hi Rory that is interesting, mine is inacurate different ammounts though the rainge and some days im sure its worse than others but i dont use my satnav every day so cant check.

And you replaced the clocks you say and it made no difference?
Jeff
My Cars:

Post by Jeff »

When I had to repair the speedo stepper motor I set the speed exactly by driving past one of those road side speed warning signs that tell you the speed and moving the hand etc, especially at 30mph. I'd rather the speedo was spot on rather than over reading and not knowing exactly how fast I was going past speed camera's.
Currently driving Citroen c5 2.0 HDI 51 Plate
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

The Berlingo is spot on at 30,50 and 70 at the moment, but it's only done a couple of thousand miles on new tyres. It was 3mph out throughout on the Tom-Tom on the knackered old boots it had before.

The V6 said it was doing 141 when it was doing 144!
C5Alan
My Cars:

Post by C5Alan »

not sure what I need to fix on mine but it is under reading by at least 10mph which is quite worrying I was running around at 30 i thought which after cruising behind the missus also at 30 I was reading 20 I never check the sat nav as they are normally out but it was reading 28. I think it may have started acting up after hitting a pothole should that be miss the only bit of flat road in the town
2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110hp Exclusive only done 218,000miles so just about run in. Family owned from new. Now Sold

2002 Renault Scenic 1.9Dci 111,000miles the new work bus
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Original wheels? Standard size for the car?
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
C5Alan
My Cars:

Post by C5Alan »

qprdude wrote:Original wheels? Standard size for the car?
It has orig wheels and been running 205 55 15 tyres for months before the problem started so doubt it has anything to do with wheels
2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110hp Exclusive only done 218,000miles so just about run in. Family owned from new. Now Sold

2002 Renault Scenic 1.9Dci 111,000miles the new work bus
jimca007
New User

Post by jimca007 »

ive got a 2.0 hdi c5 and my solution to this was a little simpler, maybe too simple but it worked! took out the console housing the speedo, removed the screws holding on the face plate and moved the needle round slightly on the shaft so 0mph reads 0mph and pretty much every other speed ( according to my sat nav but not sure how accurate that is ! ) was pretty much spot on or within an acceptable margin of error