ZX ignition switch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dapr
New User

ZX ignition switch

Post by dapr »

Hiya, ignition on me old zx has started to play up and the ignition light comes on just as the key is removed from the lock. With a lot of fiddling I can get it to go off- and hear the relay click out- but if I then waggle the steering wheel and the lock is engaged the ignition light will go on and off.
I have taken the ignition switch out and could replace it but I'm inclined to see if I can take it apart and fix it.

So I was wondering if anyone on this forum has had a go, if so how they got on. If not has anyone replaced an ignition switch and if so where did they get it from.
Think that about does it, thanks for any info.
Dave
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: ZX ignition switch

Post by spider »

Ebay or main dealer for a replacement. I think GSF have them in stock too.

I'm not sure they can be taken apart, although I've not really looked. The 'switch' part is part of the lock barrel. I realise it could come apart (as it was put together after all) but personally I've not tried.

Unless its different for Peugeot vehicles where they have a 'combined' unit in effect...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi and welcome

i think its made up very similar to the BX switch which can be dismantled to clean the electrical contacts, but it sound like either the return spring in the lock has broken, or the switch is breaking up,

here is price and part No. from citroen

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
00004162W2 STEERING LOCK 131.36 GBP 157.63 GBP 157.63 GBP

you can do a goooogly search with the part No. which could bring up better price's from elsewhere

here is also a list of all families this switch/lock is fitted to

1 document(s) found for SAXO
1 document(s) found for ZX
1 document(s) found for AX

were are you located
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
dapr
New User

Post by dapr »

Thanks for the responses. I've had a look on the gsf site and didn't find mention of the ignition switch but I will have another look. I found some 2nd hand units with up to 3 months warranty, prices in the region of £40-50. Not too appealing as but neither is a new one from a dealer.

I've spent some time today taking the thing apart and have been able to dismantle it completely and find the problem(s). Not surprising it's just general wear and tear. It's the brass contacts inside and the rotating cam that have worn. At least one of the contacts is making a circuit when it shouldn't.

I've just had a look on ebay while writing this and a search there returned a switch from gsf for £57 post paid so that will do me. Wonder why it didn't show up when I looked on the gsf pages? Fat fingers me probably.
Oh well. Thanks again for taking the time to post the responses
Dave