So you think you're insured?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

So you think you're insured?

Post by Old-Guy »

Had a conversation today with someone whose windscreen shattered only to discover that he was paying for cover on a car identical to his own but with a non-existent registration number. For all their fancy IT systems, it's remarkably easy (not to say common) for insurance companies to scramble registrations or vehicle details. You can argue with your insurance company, but if the police stop you because the ANPR system in their car flags your reg number as an uninsured vehicle, (because the insurance company screwed up), you won't be driving anywhere. Your car will be impounded on the spot and it'll cost you at least £150 for recovery and storage until you sort out the insurance! :shock:

If you don't reclaim the car, with valid insurance and payment of the charges, your car is forfeit. Your cherished Xantia will go to the crusher! :(

Both the police and the insurers will point out politely but firmly, that its YOUR responsibility to make sure your car is properly insured - the covering letter with your insurance certificate tells you to check the details carefully.

At any time, you can check the insurance details for your car as recorded on the Motor Insurers Database (which is where police systems get their data) at askMIDl.

If you discover a cock-up, do let us all know.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
oneday
My Cars:

Re: So you think you're insured?

Post by oneday »

just checked mine all correct
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
lurchy666
My Cars: citroen c5 hdi 2.2 auto estate

Post by lurchy666 »

i had this one of my old granadas, it was insured and i had the certificate with right reg everything except some numpty at the ins comp hadnt put it on the database so every time i went past a cop with anpr i was pulled over, took a few angry phone calls to sort out as ins comp tryed to say it wasnt there fault that they hadnt put my car on the database the coppers didnt believe i was insured untill i rang the ins comp to confirm the details (everytime i was stopped) with them on speaker phone so the cops could hear, sometimes the cops were havin a go at the poor lady/bloke on the other end of the phone,

eventually i got pulled 4 times in a week by same copper and everytime we had to ring the ins comp to confirm i was covered etc, then the copper actually sorted it for me by taking the phone off me and telling them unless my car goes on the database instantly that he was going to ask his bosses to bill the ins comp for the polices time for stopping me all them times,

after that i wasnt stopped anymore, see there are some good coppers out there

the ins comp was norwich union who i believe is now aviva
c5 2.2 auto hdi estate 52 reg
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Check VERY easilly HERE with Reg plate

I regularaly check mine, well, only one on the road just now. But also check on the Tax Disc site for my SORNS..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It's worse when you're dyslexic and quote it wrongly yourself. #-o I check all that stuff three times, then put it down and come back later to check again.
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

An interesting read that.

While we're on the subject, any modification however silly is worth running past the insurance company. I've had to declare a towbar and my Michelin Alpin M+S tyres even though the Alpins are the same tyre size, speed rating and all that as my Toyo CF1s. The XM was the same with the alloys even though they were Citroen XM alloys. On the plus side, they're all no cost modifications in my case!
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I declared my change of interior on the V6 - Cream rather than Black. No increase..

More disturbing but academic now but when I declared my XM LPG to Admiral it came back as 'Low Pressure Gas' :roll: Not the same thing at all...

Adrian Flux has it right though :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

yep informed of leather and alloys in the xant.. and I think leather in the c5.. you cant be too careful these days..

I always wonder what the mileage restriction policies are about.. I often go for them but never have to prove current mileage.. maybe they look at mots and so on..
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I have a limited mileage policy with Adrian Flux on the XM and I had to advise the mileage reading at the start of the policy and there's dire consequences apparently if you exceed it...

Admiral policies on the others are somewhat limited as they ask you your likely mileage but don't seem to ask any further details...

So they'd never know if you exceeded it or not unless they can get it from MOT information. Maybe that's it. They don't need to because it's available to them from a different source...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I told mine about the dearmour, more accurately I said that the "pump immobiliser has been removed" , they said they did not really care about that which I suppose is a good thing although in theory it would of only effected theft cover (which I still have) although no doubt they might of used it as an excuse to wiggle out of something.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Suppose the restricted mileage was exceeded.
How would the insurance company prove that the distance was driven by their client, and not by another driver under their own insurance?
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

yes I was thinking that too...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Why would they care when it is the car that has a limited mileage, not the driver?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

So you can have a high mileage woman in a restricted mileage car, then.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

addo wrote:a high mileage woman
Now there's a thought :lol: :lol:
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )