Tappets

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lara
My Cars:

Tappets

Post by lara »

Does a 1.7 xud engine turbo diesel have tappets/ valve clearances that need adjusting?
If so can someone give a brief description of how to do it and how often.
Thanks Lara
lara stowers
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

Have never done the tappets myself - not had to on BXs that have doen 170,000 and 135,000 but know that they are adjusted with shims. This is covered in some detail in Haynes Cit Diesel manual. I could probably do a scan of relevant bits if you require. Others may be able to tell you how difficult it is to do in practice! Try BX messageboard if further help not forthcoming here
PhilW
http://members4.boardhost.com/citroen_bx/
Phil
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi Lara - Yes - the BX does have tappets and they can be adjusted but it involves much more work than on engines in times past when all that was required was to stick in a feeler gauge and adjust the screw on the tappet. Briefly, on the BX you need to measure the gap between the back of each cam and the tappet, and compare the results with the spec of the engine. If the clearances are incorrect the cambelt must be removed, followed by the camshaft. Shims are then added or removed until the correct clearances are obtained. It isn't a job that needs to be done at any specific mileage, indeed, many engines reach their life's end without requiring adjustment.