Engine Management system faulty in C5!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

begins
My Cars:

Engine Management system faulty in C5!

Post by begins »

Hi all,

I had my C5 (Year 2007) 2.0L Petrol EW10A Throttle Body cleaned today. The Throttle body was very dirty as I watched the mechanic cleaning. They then used an universal scanner to search for any fault code in the car. None was detected.

However, while driving home, the message “Engine Management System failure” suddenly appeared and the service light was kept on. Otherwise, the car drives perfectly normal to me.

What could be the problem? So worry for another expensive repair bill. Can I continue to drive the car now?

Any kind souls here can advise me on this?

Thank you very much.

Regards,
begins
My Cars:

Re: Engine Management system faulty in C5!

Post by begins »

Hi all,

Decided to bring the car out for a spin and realized that the both “Engine Management System Faulty” message and the Service light have gone off!

After cleaning the TB, the car seems more responsive now and I hope it will be alright from now (touch wood).

Regards,
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Error /fault codes can take several miles to clear Even a blown bulb message can remain on when a new one is fitted. Don't worry about it, just enjoy the new responsiveness.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
begins
My Cars:

Post by begins »

qprdude wrote:Error /fault codes can take several miles to clear Even a blown bulb message can remain on when a new one is fitted. Don't worry about it, just enjoy the new responsiveness.
Thank you very much for the consolation.

Oh dear, the “Engine Management System faulty” message appeared again after a continuous drive of 1 hour with max at 4K RPM. Again, it only appeared once the car has come to a complete stop. Anyway, I will not be using the car for the whole of next week as I’m currently out of town.

Hopefully, a week of rest will erase that irritating message...keeping my fingers crossed.

Regards,
begins
My Cars:

Post by begins »

Hi all,

Just drove my car this evening after a few days away.

Like usual, the Engine Management System faulty and service light didn’t turn up when ignited.

However, after a long drive when I stopped at the traffic, the message and service light appeared again! So this has been the symptom, start ok, drive for a while, when come to a stop, message and service light will emerge.

This time round, when the message and service light surfaced, the car would vibrate (almost like asthma). Once I restart the engine, the car will stop vibrating but with the service light on.

Can the expert advise me what to look out for to solve this problem?

Thank you very much.

Regards,
begins
My Cars:

Post by begins »

Hi all,

This is an update to the problem.

My car finally stalled when the “Engine Management System faulty” message popped up. It simply refused to move after several restart.

No choice, it was towed again (4th time within 8 months).

This time round, the starter fused has blown. It was replaced and I took the chance to change the battery to larger NS70.

Now no more error message and service light even when stopped at traffic after a long drive.

I hope this put an end to the problem.

Thank you all for reading.

Regards,
CassC5
My Cars: C5 Tourer (Francoise)
Corsa B (Bert)

Post by CassC5 »

Hi, begins.

I know I’m ten years late to the party but I’m experiencing the same problem.

I was hoping your issue was the same as mine and it look like it is.

So you got a new fuse, replaced the battery, and all was well? Where is the starter fuse located?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

You would be better of starting a new thread with your specific car, all we know at the moment is that its a C5 tourer. What year is it & what engine do you have for a start? The fuse locations are different depending on if its a mk1, 2 or 3. Are you having the exact same problems as above after cleaning the throttle body?