Xantia Alarm is driving me mad!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kentc5
My Cars:

Re: Xantia Alarm is driving me mad!!!!

Post by kentc5 »

I will have to play tomorrow with the latches adjustments then :( .... blimey it is turning into a nightmare lol ....
I have the carpet on the radiators at the moment trying to dry it !! lol it soaks up water like no tomorrow
Current Cars:
Citroen Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive ('98)
Alfa Romeo 166 2.0TS ('03)
Audi A6 C6 2.4 V6 SE ('05)
BMW 735i Individual M-Pack ('00)
Lexus GS300SE Navigator ('98)
Toyota Prius T-Spirit ('04)
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

The problem is more than likely down to the switch on the boot lid becoming displaced slightly, its only held in place by a tiny bit of moulded plastic which isn't generally enough to cope with the thud of the boot lid being closed over many years, the switch should sit squarely on the metal bracket but invariably moves to sit at an angle so that the plunger on the switch doesn't fully compress. As a long term solution get a cable tie and wrap it around the switch to hold it in place.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

How did the carpet get wet? If you don't know, it suggests that the water may have leaked in if the boot latch was loose, which would result in a poor seal. Correcting the latch may sort out both the alarm issue and the seals.

James
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:How did the carpet get wet?
On a Xantia estate water enters the boot when the seal around plastic inner liner comes away from the boot lid as water runs through the inside of the lid and is expected to drain out through the bottom.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Sorry to resurrect this thread again but I have just had my key fobs repaired and have the same issue with my alarm
it beeps at me when I set it on my S2 1998 Xantia estate.
I don't have the boot open warning light on and the boot hatch locks fine on the keys from the driver door.
I am not completely clear on where to find this switch that is talked about above can anyone help please?
When I open the front doors one by one and activate the alarm on the key fob the central locking locks and unlocks
but when I do this with the estate rear hatch open it just locks and doesn't unlock so I guess there is a fault in the rear boot door somewhere.
having had the keys done so I can set the alarm is good but not being able to set it because of this beep issue is a bit of a pain and I would really like to get it sorted if possible, any help would be gratefully appreciated.
regards
Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I don't know if this will help, but on the Xantia hatchback, where the lock (on the hatch itself) engages the hasp (in the main bodywork) there is a sliding cover (that gets pushed down). This also pushes down the stem for the alarm switch, so the car then knows the boot is closed. As a temporary measure you could disconnect this switch (it is a push to break type) so that you fool the alarm into thinking the boot is closed. This worked for me until I got a replacement switch.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Door lock "bounce" is only activated on the front doors. Rear doors and boot lid do not activate lock bounce .. the sensor switch on estates is in the boot lock or at least has to be .. theres also switchs on the two bonnet locks..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Thanks for that.

the sensors in the boot lock I'll have to chase out when I get the inner door card off

With the Bonnet switches are they down on the front of the car somewhere what am I supposed to be looking for please?

can I for the time being activate the central locking by remote without setting the alarm?

regards.
Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Yes.. on the right ofcthe steering cowl on the dash assuming you do not have rear electric windows there is a switch which has a sort of sounder symbol with a cross through it.. press and hold it untill the red led on your drivers door stays on solid you can then use the remote to lock the car but it will still chirp. However simply locking the car with the key in the door lock also does NOT set the alarm and there for the sounder wont go off...

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
falling-out-with-my-car

ok thanks.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The button with the sounder symbol is to disable the ultrasonic sensors for the alarm (so that it won't go off if you have a dog in the car). Locking the car with the key in the barrel does not set the alarm.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Ooo did I say something wrong.. I thought thats what I had said james.. but thanks for backing me up..

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hi Paul, I think you might have mis-understood Nigel. As I read his query, he asked if he could lock the car using the remote without setting the alarm. Pressing the U/S disable button does shut them off, but leaves the rest of the alarm active. Locking the car off the key does not set the alarm.

Nigel, I have (in the past) had to investigate door wiring issues. Looking in the Haynes BoL shows the front door locks have 3 switches each, while the back doors only have one. The reason is simple; both types of lock have a switch that monitors the lock status (locked/unlocked), but the front doors also have one switch for the lock barrel, and another for the interior button. The simple way to test the locks is to sit in the car, and then push/lift each lock button in turn. If any fail to work the central locking then that is the problem. It would be likely that (if a door lock appears to be at fault) the fault is in the wiring. (Gracie had problems with both rear doors, and the wiring had failed in the door concertina grommet), as the locks themselves appear to be reliable.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
falling-out-with-my-car

Hello James thanks for the extra info which seems to contradict a lot of other info about the rear doors having alarm sensors, some say they don't and you say they do, strange???
I know that the inside drivers door push button hasn't worked for years as the bar has plummeted inside the door, however if you sit inside and push down the passenger door button the whole car locks fine, the rear door buttons do not activate the central locking and never have in the 10 years I have owned the car, it was 6 years old when I bought it.
Anyway Thanks for the extra info I cannot seem to get the estate boot door light on the rear ceiling to light up at the moment and I have change the bulb so I wonder if this is causing a fault in the alarm on the boot door, I think I am going to have to buy one of these ecu readers soon I know Barry at Bourne Citroen bought his off ebay for about a hundred quid which isn't bad for showing you most niggling little faults.
cheers again James.
Nigel.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Nigel, I have just checked how Gracies' interior locks work, and I am sorry to say I made an error. The front door interior buttons ARE monitored, and do trigger the central locking, but the rear buttons are NOT monitored, so only lock their own door, which means that testing the central locking from them will not work (and this is where I made the error). However, I left a rear door open and triggered the central locking, which then chirped and unlocked itself. That does confirm the wiring and switch configuration on the door locks, and that the alarm can see a rear door is open.

A replacement door lock button can be got from Citroen for around £5. Make sure you get the right one, as the front button is wider than the rear one. Re-fitting the bar is a bit tricky, as you will need to pop the door card off to get it back into place.

I wonder if the problem with the interior light and the central locking could be due to a wiring failure to the tailgate. Do all of the lights in the tailgate work (such as the number plate lights)? On Gracie I hade failed wiring in both rear door concertina grommets.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+