Car Insurance.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Re: Car Insurance.

Post by qprdude »

Timmy69 wrote:10 years no claims and mine was £500 more than my Astra 1.4.I have a cpc as well thought that might have brought it down not up :(

What car are you insuring this time?

Strangely, this time, there was no provision in the on-line quote forms for driving quals. I was disappointed as I've done another Rospa driving course since last year, and was hoping it would make a difference.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

From my experience all these driving qualifications don't appear to make any difference to the premium, I've got a house full of them plus the 'T' shirt and even when my daughter passed her test aged 17 I enquired about her undertaking the Pass Plus Scheme for new drivers, result = no difference to the premium whatsoever.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

They did when I first did my advanced, but it seems that the insurance companies don't like giving discounts for anything nowadays.
Rick.

Timmy69
My Cars:

Post by Timmy69 »

qprdude wrote:
Timmy69 wrote:10 years no claims and mine was £500 more than my Astra 1.4.I have a cpc as well thought that might have brought it down not up :(

What car are you insuring this time?

Strangely, this time, there was no provision in the on-line quote forms for driving quals. I was disappointed as I've done another Rospa driving course since last year, and was hoping it would make a difference.
I have a Xantia 2.0 HDi SX and i was actually told that LV..Liverpool Victoria take CPC's etc into account..Not Tried Them yet though

Timmy
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Timmy69 wrote:I have a Xantia 2.0 HDi SX and i was actually told that LV..Liverpool Victoria take CPC's etc into account..Not Tried Them yet though
How bizarre, CPC's have nothing to do with driving ability or competence :?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Timmy69
My Cars:

Post by Timmy69 »

I Disagree..Its part of driver training at most levels.Its actually a part of your licence now.
Timmy
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

I've just had the misfortune to have to deal with Budget insurance, firstly on my wife's car. The experience was so unpleasant that I vowed never to deal with them ever again, and secondly to change the insurance over from my old TD to the newer HDI.
I did confess, having checked my details, to a sp30 i'd forgotten to declare previously, and before I rang them I'd had quotes, paying monthly, with sp30 declared, and with my wife added as a driver, for the HDI for £48.
I might add that they had already ramped up the payments from £45 to £64 by NOT bothering me with constant reminders and phone calls about renewing, which I'd experienced from others, and I'd forgotten about it.
I was told that the underwriters now class me as an unacceptable risk, I would have to take out a new 12 month policy and the cheapest possible was £125 per month.
To cancel the policy will cost me £81
With my wife's car I'd bought the insurance by phone they were the best quote and it was £22 monthly starting 1st November.
I paid a deposit by debit card.
Within a few minutes I realised that I'd done it a month early and it needed to start 1st December. I telephoned and was told that because the start date was now Dec. and 'it's winter then' the price would rise by £4 per month! I was incensed by this and refused to pay any extra. They were adamant that they would not honour the original quote so I said ok cancel it then. I was then told that if I did cancel I'd be liable for a £50 cancellation fee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and they would use the debit card I'd paid the deposit with to collect the money!!!!!!!!!
After much screaming and shouting and threats of trading standards they did reluctantly agree to waive the 'cancellation fee' but still would not honour their quote.
I strongly advise any forum members to AVOID BUDGET INSURANCE at all costs. What would they be like in a claim?
Kind regards
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

qprdude wrote:Got a few more quotes by putting in a phone number (No idea whos number, but not mine)
£167 fully comp with £350 total excess
£173 fully comp with £200 total excess
Both a long way cheaper than last years , and one of them is my current provider!
Do you mind me asking which insurers those are with?

Mine is with Axa, and has gone 328 > 357 > 288 in the last 3 years, but apparently would be 247 if it was starting now. That's including legal fees and protected no claims.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

I was getting so many nuisance calls trying to sell me all sorts of stuff that, in the end, I contacted my phone provider, Virgin, and they changed my number free of charge. I haven't had any nuisance calls since. In fact, I haven't had any calls at all.

(I have really.. but just from important people...and the mother inlaw)
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

I use the comparison sites to check on the cheapest and then go to Quidco/Froggubank/Topcashback and usually end up getting at least £50 of the cheapest comparison site quoted price, allbeit 3 months later.
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

KevMayer wrote:I was getting so many nuisance calls trying to sell me all sorts of stuff that, in the end, I contacted my phone provider, Virgin, and they changed my number free of charge. I haven't had any nuisance calls since. In fact, I haven't had any calls at all.

(I have really.. but just from important people...and the mother inlaw)

Bit drastic Kev. I'm not changing the number I've had for 30+ years . I'd rather just keep giving them a mouthfull,(when SWIMBO's not in), or letting the caller display filter them out.
Rick.

qprdude

Post by qprdude »

andy5 wrote:
qprdude wrote:Got a few more quotes by putting in a phone number (No idea whos number, but not mine)
£167 fully comp with £350 total excess
£173 fully comp with £200 total excess
Both a long way cheaper than last years , and one of them is my current provider!
Do you mind me asking which insurers those are with?

Mine is with Axa, and has gone 328 > 357 > 288 in the last 3 years, but apparently would be 247 if it was starting now. That's including legal fees and protected no claims.

The £173 is with the AA. They are my current provider and their renewal notice was for £196 (by post this week).
They say they will match any "like" quote for existing customers so I'll call them tomorrow and see.
Last years was through the AA, but the policy was underwritten by AXA UK.
Don't know who the new quote will be underwritten by yet as it's not on the online quote, just " AA "

Strangely, when I "retrieve the quote" it says £247 !!!!!, but I have the Email dated today, which is headed " Your Quote....£173 so I'll phone tomorrow and insist they honour their promise.
Rick.

andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

Thanks. Then I wonder if that's with Axa as well.
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Possibly not, as the renewal letter had two prices on it, one with AXA (£196) and another unamed but slightly cheaper ( £193 )quote "from an alternative supplier"
Rick.

Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

I've just changed from Zurich to the AA. Policy is with Acromas.

The AA's quote was very attractive as they offered a 15% discount as a new policyholder, and they threw in AA membership and Roadside Assistance for free. Not sure if I'll manage to get the 15% off next year, but will worry about that next year.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )