Xantia Flood damage

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lurchy666
My Cars: citroen c5 hdi 2.2 auto estate

Re: Xantia Flood damage

Post by lurchy666 »

ok silly quick question as i dont want to hijack the thread, a where is the breather on the gearbox 110 hdi and does it have a pipe atached to it or anything, as i have a vac pipe (well same pipe as vac pipe) dangling down near the gear linkages not plugged into anything, the other end sits up behind the lhm tank again not attached to anything, any ideas???
c5 2.2 auto hdi estate 52 reg
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

IIRC (but don't quote me on this) it is on the top of the gearbox, on the engine side. You need to remove the air filter box to see it.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I have just read your first post again and I missed that this is a fairly late registered Xantia an Hdi so obviously a S2 model
the gearchange setup doensnt sound very much like the earlier S2 xantia's which were a set of metal pushrods with linkages behind the engine.
if it is a cable system there is always the possibility of the cables breaking down inside their sleeves, I note you say it is a sealed hydraulicl clutch, perhaps this is one for the C5 boys as your car seems to be a hybrid of both the xantia and possibly the C5.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

All 'big engined' Xantias Nigel, used the ML5T gearbox which is hydraulically clutched and cable-changed...

The big engines are the V6, 2.0TCT (Activa), 2.1TD and 110HDi...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

CitroJim wrote:All 'big engined' Xantias Nigel, used the ML5T gearbox which is hydraulically clutched and cable-changed...

The big engines are the V6, 2.0TCT (Activa), 2.1TD and 110HDi...
Was the V6 not different again to everything else? I though that you needed a V6 manual gearbox for an V6 Activa conversion, or is that just because the power will destroy the normal gearbox?
why?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

davoxx wrote: Was the V6 not different again to everything else? I though that you needed a V6 manual gearbox for an V6 Activa conversion, or is that just because the power will destroy the normal gearbox?
No, still an ML5T but with different ratios Dav. The bellhousing may be a tad different though...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

CitroJim wrote:
davoxx wrote: Was the V6 not different again to everything else? I though that you needed a V6 manual gearbox for an V6 Activa conversion, or is that just because the power will destroy the normal gearbox?
No, still an ML5T but with different ratios Dav. The bellhousing may be a tad different though...
Soooo ... could I do a manual V6 Activa with just an Activa and a V6 Xantia, presuming I'd just have messed up gear ratios?
why?
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

lurchy666 wrote:ok silly quick question as i dont want to hijack the thread, a where is the breather on the gearbox 110 hdi and does it have a pipe atached to it or anything, as i have a vac pipe (well same pipe as vac pipe) dangling down near the gear linkages not plugged into anything, the other end sits up behind the lhm tank again not attached to anything, any ideas???
Sure it's not the LHM reservoir breather/overflow pipe? The top end goes onto a spigot in the top of the reservoir filler cap; the bottom just dangles....
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
ashy90

Post by ashy90 »

Can water get in to any or most gear boxes when driving through large puddles/floods?

I am just wondering if perhaps the Peugeot box in my old Rover died young might be because me and my mates used to drive it through lots of deep puddles etc. (when I haddn't been driving long and did it for a laugh). Started making horrendous noises by just 62k miles.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Reminds me, I must check where the air intake is on my Xantia

So what sort of water depths do Xantias successfully cope with?
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

I appreciate I may have a diffeent gearbox on my 1998 S2 xantia but I used to drive through a ford (sorry to swear) :oops: slowley on a regular basis to clean out the dust on my front brake pads after a long run and I have never had any problems with water getting in the gearbox, I still think this could be something to do with the cables getting wet and seizing or becomming difficult to move are they adjustable at all?
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Water entering the trailing arm bearing tube will be a deferred headache too.
falling-out-with-my-car

hopefully a thick large quantity of waxoil in that area will help to prevent this on mine.
I wouldn't do it in the winter though. esspecially if there was a chance of the night freezing the water under the car.
lurchy666
My Cars: citroen c5 hdi 2.2 auto estate

Post by lurchy666 »

Old-Guy wrote:
lurchy666 wrote:ok silly quick question as i dont want to hijack the thread, a where is the breather on the gearbox 110 hdi and does it have a pipe atached to it or anything, as i have a vac pipe (well same pipe as vac pipe) dangling down near the gear linkages not plugged into anything, the other end sits up behind the lhm tank again not attached to anything, any ideas???
Sure it's not the LHM reservoir breather/overflow pipe? The top end goes onto a spigot in the top of the reservoir filler cap; the bottom just dangles....
nope not that as at the minute that pipe ends up in a bottle as the last owber over filled the lhm and every time I drop the suspension the bottle fills up with lhm
c5 2.2 auto hdi estate 52 reg
falling-out-with-my-car

being as the LHM tank is sealed with an o-ring on the lid could it not just be a means to let the tank breathe when you do lower the suspension otherwise the lid might pop off?