C5 heater speed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

imperial21
My Cars:

C5 heater speed

Post by imperial21 »

Hi
My heater does nt work on speed 3 all the others work fine, could it be a switch or resistor pack ? My car is a 2002 C5 LX.
Thanks
1999 Xantia exclusive 110BHP !! Now RIP !!
2002 C5 estate 110 hdi, Happily sold on !!!
oneday
My Cars:

Re: C5 heater speed

Post by oneday »

mine has the same problem its the resistor pack. but had alook at mine and looks like the solder joints only need to be reheated to solve the problem. when the weather is better ill give it a go
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
imperial21
My Cars:

Post by imperial21 »

Where is the heater resistor on my car ? its an lx spec car if that makes a difference ?
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

passenger footwell righthand side pull carpet down from bottom of glove box look at the heater and you will see
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

They are dead easy to take out, no tools or anything. Right at the back of the heater box in the passenger footwell you will see a multiplug held in with a red slider (a smaller version of the ABS unit plug IIRC). Undo the plug and you will see the grey resistor pack. Despite having screw holes this is just clipped in. Wrestle it out and find a replacement. I think this is what Citroen will sell you if you ask, but it's not quite the same and you would have to butcher the wiring. I'm not keen to do that in such a high current application so I just trawled the scrapyards for a replacement that fits http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220906056624" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The normal failure mode for these is apparently the thermal fuse, which is under £1 at Maplin http://www.maplin.co.uk/thermal-fuses-470" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (228 degree is the closest) but because you still have 1 and 2 I think it's one of the resistors that have failed, the fuse takes out all but full speed.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
imperial21
My Cars:

Post by imperial21 »

Thanks for the replys could the original resistor be fixable ? As one of the previous post said that the resistor may need touching up with a soldering iron ? As i have nt a spare £50 at the moment.

Does it look like this ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-C5-He ... 2eb81d7c02" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

that doesnt look like the one in mine. my one has no cover cage on it ans slimmer that that
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

imperial21 wrote:Thanks for the replys could the original resistor be fixable ? As one of the previous post said that the resistor may need touching up with a soldering iron ? As i have nt a spare £50 at the moment.

Does it look like this ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-C5-He ... 2eb81d7c02" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That is wrongly described, I think it's actually for the radiator fan. It looks pretty much like the one I posted but with a different plug. Here is a better picture of a similar unit to show you what the other end looks like.

The green is a kind of potting compound and the resistors are inside it, you can't really do anything with them. The part on the end looks rather like a resistor but it is the thermal fuse. You aren't supposed to solder them because they blow at 216 degrees and a soldering iron is more like 375 degrees. I managed to solder mine without blowing the fuse but the unit still didn't work. I just went to a scrapyard and paid £10 for a replacement in the end.

Apparently these people http://blower-motor-resistor.co.uk/#cit ... n_resistor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; will repair your unit for £13.50. It might be worth emailing them to ask.
Richard

Care of a 1994 205 D.
imperial21
My Cars:

Post by imperial21 »

Excellent i know what it looks like and where it is, all i need is one ! Are these sort fitted to any other citroen peugoets does anyone know ? as my local yard has nt had a c5 in ages, If i remeber rightly it has to come from a lx only spec car as the others are different ?
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

you need one from a none climate control car my vtr heater is the same as yours
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I hunted through two yards to find an alternative but all the likely candidates either had a different pack or I couldn't find where it was. The closest I could find was on one of those big Citroen vans (Relay?) but it would have needed work to make it fit and I had no way of knowing whether it would be compatible so I left it. Based on that experience I would say it does have to be a C5 and, as you already know, have the LX type heater controls.

If you can't find one locally I'd say your best bet is to contact some of these people http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Car-Parts-/14 ... ing&_frs=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and see if any of them will sort you out at a reasonable price.
Richard

Care of a 1994 205 D.
gazellef61

Post by gazellef61 »

Hi, if it's any help I used these people to repair mine, totol cost including postage to them was under £15.00, there and back in a week....all now good

http://blower-motor-resistor.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

p.s. I am pretty sure it's the same as a Vauxhall Vectra on their site.

Paul